- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: November 20, 2006
- Label: Capitol
Rolling Stone3.5 stars out of 5
-- "[I]t's LOVEly -- the suite side of ABBEY ROAD extended to seventy-eight minutes."
Entertainment Weekly - p.105
"[I]t's bliss....The exhilarating opener, 'Because,' is now a cappella, and the most glorious choral rock divinity since the Beach Boys' 'Our Prayer'..." -- Grade: A
Q - p.1334 stars out of 5
-- "[T]his demands the listener to reappraise The Beatles' brilliance with fresh ears. A genuine revolution in the head."
Q - p.118Ranked #53
in Q Magazine's "100 Greatest Albums of 2006."
Mojo (Publisher) - p.1005 stars out of 5
-- "Stunning....You'll marvel at the sound and the new insight it brings to music you know so well."
- 2.Get Back
- 3.Glass Onion
- 4.Eleanor Rigby / Julia - (Transition)
- 5.I Am the Walrus
- 6.I Want to Hold Your Hand
- 7.Drive My Car / The World / What You're Doing
- 8.Gnik Nus
- 9.Something / Blue Jay Way
- 10.Helter Skelter / Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite / I Want You (She's So Heavy)
- 12.Blackbird / Yesterday
- 13.Strawberry Fields Forever
- 14.Tomorrow Never Knows / Within You Without You
- 15.Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds
- 16.Octopus's Garden
- 17.Lady Madonna
- 18.Here Comes the Sun / Theinner Light - (Transition)
- 19.Dear Prudence / Come Together / Cry Baby Cry - (Transition)
- 21.Back in the U.S.S.R.
- 22.While My Guitar Gently Weeps
- 23.A Day in the Life
- 24.Hey Jude
- 25.Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - (Reprise)
- 26.All You Need Is Love
Given his unparalleled talent for innovative recording, mixing, and soundscaping, producer Sir George Martin has always been rightly referred to as "the fifth Beatle." Some 35 years after the Beatles disbanded, Martin was still shaping the group's music, as demonstrated by the 2006 release LOVE. The album (created to coincide with a Cirque du Soleil performance based on Beatles songs) amounts to a musical fantasia centered on the Beatles' output, with famous work from both early and late in the band's career collaged with great care and artistry.
Martin's relationship to the band gives him a unique perspective (not to mention access to a vast catalogue of multi-track tapes), which results in a shape-shifting overview that encompasses demo recordings, instrumental passages, and snippets from some of the best-loved Beatles tunes. Beatles fanatics will be in seventh heaven playing "name that reference" on this sonic carpet ride, but LOVE also provides something of an "overture" to the Beatles' oeuvre. The SPECIAL EDITION comes with a bonus audio-only DVD featuring the album in various stereo mixes.
Track List: LOVE
2. Get Back
3. Glass Onion
4. Eleanor Rigby-Julia (Transition)
5. I Am The Walrus
6. I Want To Hold Your Hand
7. Medley: I) Drive My Car; II)The World; III) What You're Doing
8. Gink Nus
9. Something-Blue Jay Way (Transtion)
10. Medley: I) Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite; II) I Want You (She's So Heavy); III) Helter Skelter
12. Medley: I) Blackbird; II) Yesterday
13. Strawberry Fields Forever
14. Medley: I) Within You Without You; II) Tomorrow Never Knows
15. Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
16. Octopus's Garden
17. Lady Madonna
18. Here Comes The Sun-The Inner Light (Transition)
19. Medley: I) Come Together; II) Dear Prudence; III) Cry Baby Cry (Transtion)
21. Back In The U.S.S.R.
22. While My Guitar Gently Weeps
23. A Day In The Life
24. Hey Jude
25. SGT. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)
26. All You Need Is Love