The Beach Boys Carl and the Passions - So Tough / Holland (2-CD)
|You Save:||$1.90 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: August 15, 2000
- Originally Released: 2000
- Label: Capitol
Entertainment Weekly - 8/11/00, pp.78-9"...Their musical growing pains were rewarding....brimming with delights....[These 2 albums] brought in short-lived additions Ricky Fataar and Blondie Chaplin and included 'Sail On Sailor', their last great hit..." - Rating: B/B-
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.You Need a Mess of Help to Stand Alone
- 2.Here She Comes
- 3.He Come Down
- 5.Hold on Dear Brother
- 6.Make It Good
- 7.All This Is That
- 8.Cuddle Up
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.Sail On, Sailor
- 3.California Saga / Big Sur
- 4.California Saga / The Beaks Of Eagles
- 5.California Saga / California
- 6.The Trader
- 7.Leaving This Town
- 8.Only With You
- 9.Funky Pretty
- 10.Mt. Vernon and Fairway - (theme)
- 11.I'm the Pied Piper - (TRUE instrumental)
- 12.Better Get Back in Bed
- 13.Magic Transistor Radio
- 14.I'm the Pied Piper
- 15.Radio King Dom
2 LPs on 2 discs: CARL AND THE PASSIONS: SO TOUGH (1972)/HOLLAND (1973).
This reissue of HOLLAND also includes the limited-edition 7" EP MOUNT VERNON AND FARAWAY that was included with the original LP.
The Beach Boys: Dennis Wilson , Al Jardine, Mike Love , Ricky Fataar, Carl Wilson , Blondie Chaplin, Brian Wilson .
Liner Note Authors: Tom Petty; Elton John; Scott McCaughey.
These two albums, criminally underrated in their day (1972-3), make their long-overdue CD debuts in stunningly remastered versions. Even if you think you know this material, you'll still be picking up fresh instrumental and vocal details. Musically, this ranges from the merely charming to the seraphically beautiful, and the amazing thing is that Brian Wilson wrote so little of it and that the individual band members produced. Obviously there was more than enough talent in the band by this time to go around.
High points include "Make it Good" and "Cuddle Up," two stunning orchestral love songs from Dennis Wilson (liner note writer Scott McCaughey accurately compares them to Richard Strauss and Scott Walker); "Marcella," one of the band's all-time best and most infectious rockers; the semi-hit "Sail On Sailor," and Carl Wilson's astonishing "Trader," which begins as a chugging blue-eyed soul number ala "Wild Honey" before switching gears into a haunting piece of minimalism with ravishing group harmonies. As a bonus, this also features the CD debut of Brian's charming little children's fairy tale "Mt. Vernon and Fairway" (originally packaged as a seven-inch bonus EP); it's deliberately slight, but the instrumental snippets that gird it have an undeniable magic.
WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N... (CD)(5)
$4.98 on SALE
Live At The Atlanta International Pop Festival (2-CD)(44)
$15.59 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 67 ratings.
Based on 67 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Soul (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Leadbelly/Blind Willie McTell Masters of The Country Blues (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Doo Wop 45s On CD, Volume 3 ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Funk, Volume 2: 12 Funky Tracks (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Joe "Fingers" Carr The Riotous, Raucous, Red-Hot 20s / Together For The Last Time... (With Ira Ironstrings) (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE