Merle Haggard Out Among the Stars / A Friend in California
Only 9 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$14.81 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.18 (13% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Merle Haggard ~ 18 Rare Classics ~ $13.25
- by Merle Haggard ~ Back To The Barrooms ~ $5.97 (Save 25%)
- by Merle Haggard ~ Best of The Early Years ~ $10.25
- by Merle Haggard ~ Hag / Let Me Tell You About a Song ~ $14.81
- by Merle Haggard ~ My Love Affair With Trains / The Roots of My Raising ~ $14.81
- Released: March 16, 2010
- Originally Released: 2010
- Label: Bgo - Beat Goes On
- 1.Out Among the Stars
- 2.My Life's Been Grand
- 3.Love Keeps Hanging On
- 4.Why Can't I Cry
- 5.Love Don't Hurt Everytime
- 6.Pennies from Heaven
- 7.Tell Me Something Bad About Tulsa
- 8.The Show's Almost Over
- 11.Almost Persuaded
- 12.A Friend in California
- 13.This Time I Really Do
- 14.This Cold War with You
- 15.I Had a Beautiful Time
- 17.The Okie from Muskogee's Comin' Home
- 18.Mama's Prayer
- 19.Silverthorn Mountain
- 20.This Song Is for You
- 21.Thank You for Keeping My House
Personnel: Merle Haggard (vocals, guitar); Roy Nichols, Clint Strong (guitar); Norm Hamlet (steel guitar, dobro); Jimmy Belken (fiddle); Don Markham (saxophone, trumpet); Gary Church (trumpet, trombone); Mark Yeary (keyboards); Biff Adam (drums); Donna Faye, Freddy Powers (background vocals).
Audio Remasterer: Andrew Thompson .
Liner Note Author: Maurice Hope.
Recording information: Eleven-Eleven Sound Studio, Nashville.
Editor: John Tobler.
Illustrator: Bill Imhoff.
Photographer: Randee St. Nicholas.
Merle Haggard recorded the two albums included here -- in reverse order -- during the middle of his tenure with Epic. A Friend in California was issued in 1986 and Out Among the Stars in 1987. The albums preceding and proceeding them were the live Amber Waves of Grain in 1985, and Chill Factor in 1987. It was also about the time of these recordings, however, that his fortunes --professionally and personally -- began to change. Country radio, which up until the 21st century had been the dominant force in the genre, was focusing on the new traditionalists.
The former album in this set included country Top Tens in the mariachi-flavored title track and the stellar original "I Had a Beautiful Time." Other notables on the set were the honky tonk "Texas" and the deeply moving "Cold War with You." Unfortunately, it also contained the novelty number "The Okie from Muskogee's Comin' Home." Haggard wrote or co-wrote all but two tracks on the set. Out Among the Stars featured a number of producers, and though it contains very consistent material, it didn't rack up any Top Tens, though the title track finished just outside the Top 20 as a single. Other notable tracks here include the self-penned "My Life's Been Grand" and "Love Don't Hurt Every Time," as well as a beautiful, swinging Western swing-cum-jazz version of the standard "Pennies from Heaven." Both albums have been given terrific treatments by Great Britain's BGO imprint and are fully remastered with a historical and solidly contextual liner essay by Maurice Hope (even if they are a bit dense and waywardly convoluted). ~ Thom Jurek
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 6 ratings.
Based on 6 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Hard, Hard Traveling Man [Bear Family] (4-CD Box Set)(3)
$104.61 Super Savings
A Tombstone Every Mile [Bear Family] (7-CD Box Set)(6)
$179.51 Super Savings
Sings I Walk The Line / Sings Folsom Prison Blues (CD)(8)
$2.98 on SALE
Get Rhythm / Story Songs of Trains And Rivers (CD)(10)
$5.98 on SALE
Sings The Greatest Hits / Sings The Blue Train (CD)(2)
$4.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 3 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Herd Very Best of I Can Fly (Featuring Peter Frampton) (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE