Stone Temple Pilots Purple
Only 5 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$5.37 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.62 (33% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: June 1, 1994
- Originally Released: 1994
- Label: Atlantic
Rolling Stone - 7/94, p.1063 Stars - Good - "...[Stone Temple Pilots] play arena rock in the tradition of long hair and pot smoke. There is nothing grungy or alternative about STP's palatable suburban riffs..."
Spin - 7/94, p.68"...Stone Temple Pilot's clumsiness is itself a sign of life, a sign that there's still more weird energy in heaven and Earth than is dreamt of in Punk Rock 101..."
NME (Magazine) - 6/11/94, p.343 - Average - "...Stone Temple Pilots throw every influence from Traffic to Hawkwind in the pot and finally come up with something good..."
- 3.Lounge Fly
- 4.Interstate Love Song
- 5.Still Remains
- 6.Pretty Penny
- 7.Silvergun Superman
- 8.Big Empty
- 10.Army Ants
- 11.Kitchenware And Candy Bars
Stone Temple Pilots: Scott Weiland (vocals, guitar, percussion); Dean DeLeo (electric & acoustic guitar, percussion, drums); Robert DeLeo (bass, guitar, percussion); Eric Kretz (drums, percussion).
Additional personnel: Paul Leary (guitar); Brendan O'Brien (percussion, guitar, mellotron).
Recorded at Southern Tracks, The Record Plant, Paisley Park and Harptone Studios between May 1993 and March 1994.
PURPLE includes "12 Gracious Melodies," an uncredited hidden track at the end of the record.
Personnel: Scott Weiland (vocals, guitar, percussion); Paul Leary (guitar, Mellotron, percussion); Robert DeLeo (guitar, percussion); Dean DeLeo (acoustic guitar, electric guitar, drums, percussion); Eric Kretz (drums, percussion).
Audio Mixer: Brendan O'Brien .
Recording information: Harptone Studios (07/12/1993-03/??/1994); Record Plant (07/12/1993-03/??/1994); Southern Tracks (07/12/1993-03/??/1994).
Illustrator: Dale Sizer.
Stone Temple Pilots' second album, PURPLE, meshes guitar rock with grunge, and forges deeper into hard rock territory. Lurching out of the speakers with aggressive bottom-heavy rock, PURPLE is an example of what brought guitar-oriented rock back into the spotlight in the nineties. The 5 songs are driving, stripped to the basics of guitar, bass, and drums. PURPLE exemplifies straight ahead rock.
Embracing styles from grunge to late-1960s hard rock, Stone Temple Pilots are a band accomplished at writing abrasive rock songs, but aren't afraid of quieter acoustic melodies. The album starts with the menacing "Meat Plow," with the lyrics, "Fine place for a day full of breakdowns," leaving the listener to wonder if PURPLE is an analogy to a bruise. But as the bruise begins to fade, so does STP's over-wrought aggression. "Interstate Love Song" shows their sensitive side both lyrically and musically, and Scott Weiland's vocals are pushed beyond his hard rock growl into a near-sensitive croon.
What makes Stone Temple Pilots click is their ability to write basic, riff-heavy guitar rock. PURPLE finds Stone Temple Pilots comfortable in their hard-rock medium, but also willing to take the chance on their softer side.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 197 ratings.
Based on 197 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking titles in the Pop / Rock genre:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists KFRC 99.7FM - Motown, Soul & Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Summer Hits: 47-Song Collection (3-CD) ~ $8.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WJMK 104.3 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 60s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Johnny Cash Original Golden Hits, Volumes 1 & 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- The Isley Brothers Shout! (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Burl Ives The Best of Little Bitty Tear (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 80s: 18 Original Hits (Wooden Gift Box) (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD) ~ $19.98 on SALE