Dave Alvin Public Domain: Songs From the Wild Land
11 copies available
|You Save:||$1.40 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: August 15, 2000
- Originally Released: 2000
- Label: Hightone Records
Rolling Stone - 8/31/00, p.763.5 stars out of 5 - "...Digs deeper than ever into the past....handsomely produced....Place [this album] next to your Billy Bragg and Wilco discs, in the section marked 'American Revival'."
Uncut - 2/01, p.794 stars out of 5 - "...The quality of Alvin and guests' musicianship is exceptional..."
CMJ - 8/7/00, p.42"...Compositional creativity [with] some of his own influences to great effect..."
No Depression - 9-10/00, p.112"...Wonderful....The immediate delight is in the musical detail....Alvin sings with deep emotional investment..."
- 2.Maggie Campbell Blues
- 3.A Short Life of Trouble
- 4.What Does the Deep Sea Say?
- 5.Engine 143
- 7.Dark Eyes
- 8.Walk Right In
- 9.Murder of the Lawson Family
- 10.Don't Let Your Deal Go Down
- 11.Railroad Bill
- 12.Texas Rangers
- 13.Mama, 'Tain't Long Fo' Day
- 14.East Virginia Blues
- 15.Sign of Judgment
- 16.[Untitled Instrumental Track] - (Hidden Track)
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Dave Alvin & The Guilty Men: Dave Alvin (vocals, acoustic, electric & bottleneck slide guitars); Rick Shea (acoustic, electric & pedal steel guitars, mandolin, background vocals); Joe Terry (accordion, piano, organ, background vocals); Gregory Boaz (acoustic & electric basses); Bobby Lloyd Hicks (drums, background vocals).
Additional personnel: Greg Leisz (slide guitar, dobro, mandolin); Brantley Kearns (fiddle, background vocals); John "Juke" Logan (harmonica); David Jackson (acoustic & electric bass).
Recorded at My Place Or Yours Studio, Glendale, California in April 2000. Includes liner notes by Dave Alvin.
PUBLIC DOMAIN won the 2001 Grammy Award for Best Traditional Folk Album.
Personnel: Rick Shea (vocals, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, mandolin); Gregory Boaz (acoustic guitar, electric guitar); Greg Leisz (slide guitar, dobro, mandolin); Brantley Kearns (fiddle); Joe Terry (accordion, piano, harmonium, organ); Mark Linett (recorder).
Audio Mixer: Mark Linett.
Recording information: My Place Or Yours Studio, lGlendale, CA (04/2000).
Dave Alvin has carved out a body of work as lasting as the Rocky Mountains. With PUBLIC DOMAIN, he set his sights on the timeless songs in the public domain. From obscure origins and shadow-filled histories, these songs have endured thanks to the people who keep them alive by singing them.
Dave Alvin's deep and resonant voice has grown more facile with each ensuing year. It's become a confident instrument he wields with subtle vigor. Alvin's choice of material energized not only him, but also his parcel of like-minded, rough and tumble bandmates. The songs can roll along with chugging grooves ("Maggie Campbell") or be cast in crystalline elegance ("Short Life Of Trouble"). These 15 songs are doorways into the passions, daring, honesty, grief, regrets, lust, and redemption that are our shared humanity.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 21 ratings.
Based on 21 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking titles in the Country & Bluegrass genre:
- Various Artists Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Country Roots (CD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Folsom Prison Blues / I Walk The Line (45) ~ $3
- Johnny Cash Original Golden Hits, Volumes 1 & 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Sings I Walk The Line / Sings Folsom Prison Blues (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Retrospective Classic Rock (3CD) ~ $7.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Retrospective Early Rock & Roll (3CD) ~ $7.98 on SALE
- The Duprees For Collectors Only: 47-Song Collection (2-CD) ~ $6.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $9.98 on SALE