- Released: March 27, 2007
- Originally Released: 2007
- Label: Polydor / Umgd
- 1.Papa's Got a Brand New Bag, Pt. 1
- 2.I Got You (I Feel Good)
- 3.Try Me
- 4.It's a Man's Man's Man's World
- 5.Cold Sweat, Pt. 1
- 6.I Got the Feelin'
- 7.Say It Loud - I'm Black and I'm Proud
- 8.Give It Up or Turnit a Loose
- 9.Mother Popcorn, Pt. 1
- 10.Get Up (I Feel Like Being A) Sex Machine, Pt. 1
- 11.Super Bad, Pts. 1-2
- 12.Hot Pants, Pt. 1 (She Got to Use What She Got to Get What She Wants)
- 13.Make It Funky, Pt. 1
- 14.Talkin' Loud and Sayin' Nothing, Pt. 1
- 15.Get on the Good Foot, Pt. 1
- 16.Doing It to Death, Pt. 1
- 17.The Payback, Pt. 1
- 18.My Thang
- 19.Papa Don't Take No Mess, Pt. 1
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Photographer: David Redfern.
Arranger: James Razor Brown .
Released shortly after James Brown's death in late 2006, NUMBER ONES is a concise 19-track anthology of the Godfather of Soul's biggest hits. Rather than a strict chronological ordering, NUMBER ONES starts with the canonical moment of Brown's career, 1965's epochal "Papa's Got A Brand New Bag." Considered by many to be the birth of funk, "Papa" was quickly followed up the charts by the even bigger pop hit "I Got You (I Feel Good)." And after that one-two punch, this collection builds into an exciting non-stop dance party that stretches backward to Brown's first crossover success, "It's A Man's Man's Man's World" and forward into his series of epic, timeless funk workouts. From "Say It Loud, I'm Black and I'm Proud" through "Mother Popcorn, Part 1" and of course "(Get Up I Feel like Being A) Sex Machine, Part 1," all of the best tracks of James Brown's soul and funk period are here. Collectors' alert: in keeping with the theme of Brown's pop and R&B hits, NUMBER ONES contains the original single A-side mixes of these songs rather than their extended full-length versions.