- Released: September 9, 2008
- Label: Motown
- 1.How Sweet It is
- 2.Your Precious Love
- 3.Ain't That Peculiar
- 4.If I Could Build My Whole
- 5.World Around You
- 6.That'S the Way Love is
- 7.You'Re All I Need To Get By
- 8.I'll Be Doggone
- 9.I Heard It Through the Grapevine
- 10.Too Busy Thinking About My Baby
- 11.What'S Going On
- 12.Ain't Nothing Like the Real Thing
- 13.Inner City Blues
- 14.(Make Me Wanna Holler)
- 15.Mercy Mercy Me (the Ecology)
- 16.Trouble Man/ Let's Get It On
- 17.Distant Lover
- 18.Got To Give It Up, Part 1
Personnel includes: Marvin Gaye, Tammi Terrell (vocals).
Producers include: Brian Holland, Lamont Dozier, Smokey Robinson, Marvin Gaye, Norman Whitfield.
Includes liner notes by Brian Chin.
Digitally remastered by Suha Gur (Universal Music Studios East).
Compiling 15 of his biggest hits, EVERY GREAT MOTOWN HIT attests to the genius of one of the greatest soul singers of all time. EVERY GREAT MOTOWN HIT comes through with all the favorites: "How Sweet it Is," "Mercy, Mercy Me," and "What's Going On," are all present, as well as several duets with Tammi Terrell, including the essential "Ain't Nothing Like the Real Thing."
The compilation chronicles the maturation of Gaye's artistry, beginning with the tracks that first displayed his ability as a singer, and culminating in some of the best examples of his songwriting ability; "Let's Get it On" and "Got To Give it Up" are some of the finest grooves ever to come out of Motown, and are, to say the least, ahead of their time. Despite his premature death, Marvin Gaye's legacy endures.