Sadie Thompson (Silent)
|CYBER SALE:||$22.81 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$7.14 (24% Off)|
- Rated: Unrated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 36 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: February 20, 2001
- Originally Released: 1928
- Label: Kino Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Additional Release Material:
- Alternate Ending
- Scene Comparisons Between the Short Story, the Play, and the 1932 Remake
- Interactive Features:
- Interactive Menus
- Scene Access
- Text/Photo Galleries:
- Photo Galleries
- Illustrated Essay - "The Many Faces of Sadie Thompson"
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Gloria Swanson, Lionel Barrymore & Raoul Walsh|
|Performer:||Charles Lane, Lionel Barrymore & Raoul Walsh|
|Directed by||Raoul Walksh & Raoul Walsh|
Description by OLDIES.com:
Sadie Thompson proved to be a landmark of the silent era. Perhaps its greatest achievement was the film's uncompromising translation of Maugham's controversial story of a San Francisco prostitute and a South Pacific reformer. Swanson correctly maintained that the film's silence was its greatest asset, for the churches and the Hays office could not censor what they couldn't hear.
The tragedy of Sadie Thompson is that for many decades the last scenes were missing from the sole existing print. In this 1987 restoration by Kino International, the final minutes have been carefully recreated, using the original script, the star's own collection of stills, film footage where appropriate, and an orchestral score commissioned for the completed film.
Neglected and forgotten over the years, Sadie Thompson has emerged as an important triumph of the silent era and Swanson's greatest perfomance ever.
- A silent film.
- The Kino Video version features a new orchestral score composed and conducted by Joseph Turrin. Their restoration was supervised by Dennis Doros in 1987.
- This is the first of three film versions of Maugham's novel. The other two are: "Rain" (1932; directed by Lewis Milestone; starring Joan Crawford and Walter Huston) and "Miss Sadie Thompson" (1953; directed by Curtis Bernhardt; starring Rita Hayworth, José Ferrer, and Aldo Ray).
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 9 ratings.
Top ranking titles in the Silent Films genre:
- The Pace That Kills (1928 Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 CYBER SALE
- The Average Woman (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 CYBER SALE
- Clara Bow Double Feature: My Lady of Whims (1925) (Silent) / Black Oxen (1923) (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 CYBER SALE
- A Clouded Name (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 CYBER SALE
- Free To Love (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 CYBER SALE
Top ranking DVD:
- Sons of Kong: 10 Full-Length Movies on 3-DVDs (3D Pop-Up Case) ~ $1.19 CYBER SALE
- Annie (DVD) ~ $2.98 CYBER SALE
- Burt Reynolds Comedy Triple Feature: Gator / Breaking In / Fuzz (2-DVD) ~ $1.19 CYBER SALE
- 3 Pack Westerns: The Way West / Escort West / Chato's Land (DVD) ~ $1.79 CYBER SALE
- The Golden Age of Cartoons: Cultoons! Rare, Lost and Strange Cartoons! Ads and Oddities (DVD) ~ $1.19 CYBER SALE
© 2016 OLDIES.com and its affiliates and partner companies. All rights reserved.