Bruce Springsteen We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions (American Land Edition)
Only 6 copies left
|You Save:||$1.29 (8% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: October 3, 2006
- Originally Released: 2006
- Label: Sony
Rolling Stone - p.574 stars out of 5 -- "[W]ith his first-ever album of songs written by other people, it feels like he's turned to the music of our shared past to find a moral compass for a nation that's gone off the rails."
Rolling Stone - p.106Ranked #29 in Rolling Stone's "The Top 50 Albums Of 2006" -- "These big-band treatments combine Dixieland brass, cantina accordions and barn-dance fiddles..."
Entertainment Weekly - p.134"Enlivened by flailing banjos, tub-thumping horns, and hopped up accordions....[He] isn't afraid to mix in some merriment with the message." -- Grade: A-
Q - p.1123 stars out of 5 -- "[I]t's good to hear Springsteen with the pressure off, tapping deep into the bedrock of American music and singing and playing for the sheer joy of it."
Q - p.125Ranked #16 in Q Magazine's "100 Greatest Albums of 2006" -- "[I]t proved to be a rip-roaring, ramshackle masterstroke."
No Depression - p.123"[T]he] album deftly balances such deeply spiritual forays with a lot of upbeat material....Bringing a deep personal connection to some of the most quintessentially American songs ever written."
Mojo (Publisher) - p.1004 stars out of 5 -- "It takes easily five seconds to discover this is a Springsteen as you've never heard him before....A big band of little-knowns tumbles and jumbles diverse folk idioms all around him..."
- 1.Old Dan Tucker
- 2.Jesse James
- 3.Mrs. McGrath
- 4.O Mary Don't You Weep
- 5.John Henry
- 6.Erie Canal
- 7.Jacob's Ladder
- 8.My Oklahoma Home
- 9.Eyes On The Prize
- 11.Pay Me My Money Down
- 12.We Shall OverCome
- 13.Froggie Went A Courtin'
- 14.Buffalo Gals - (bonus track)
- 15.How Can I Keep From Singing - (bonus track)
- 16.How Can A Poor Man Stand Such Times And Live - (bonus track)
- 17.Bring Em' Home - (bonus track)
- 18.American Land - (bonus track)
The AMERICAN LAND EDITION contains five bonus tracks and, in addition to the DVD documentary included in previous editions, four bonus live videos from the 2006 tour.
Personnel: Bruce Springsteen (vocals, guitar, mandolin, harmonica, piano, Hammond b-3 organ, tambourine, percussion); Frank Bruno (vocals, guitar); Mark Clifford (vocals, banjo); Sam Bardfeld, Soozie Tyrell (vocals, violin); Charlie Giordano (vocals, accordion, piano, Hammond b-3 organ, pump organ); Ed Manion (vocals, saxophone); Mark Pender (vocals, trumpet); Richie "La Bamba" Rosenberg (vocals, trombone); Jeremy Chatzky (vocals, upright bass); Larry Eagle (vocals, drums, percussion); Patti Scialfa, Lisa Lowell (vocals); Art Baron (tuba).
Bruce Springsteen is certainly no stranger to acoustic-based, folk-inspired music. He began his career as a post-Dylan troubadour, and he's been making "unplugged" albums as far back as 1982's NEBRASKA. He's already recorded Woody Guthrie material, so it's not a shock that he would release a tribute album to folk icon Pete Seeger. WE SHALL OVERCOME: THE SEEGER SESSIONS celebrates not just Seeger's musical influence, of course, but also the political stands the singer took, which obviously resonate with the famously progressive Springsteen.
Unlike NEBRASKA, though, this is no bare-bones affair. The E Street Band may be absent, but Bruce tackles Seeger's tunes in classic larger-than-life Boss style, with a huge band that includes several string players, a horn section, accordion, and more. Incorporating everything from Dixieland to zydeco into the folk/blues template, Bruce stirs up a rowdy cauldron of Americana teeming with as much pure human passion as social import. WE SHALL OVERCOME is likely to be one of the biggest albums ever made under the "traditional folk" banner, but it's full of small surprises as Springsteen gets to the spiritual and musical heart of the matter.
1. John Henry
2. Pay Me My Money Down
3. Buffalo Gals
4. Erie Canal
5. O Mary Don't You Weep
6. Jacob's Ladder
7. Froggie Went A Courtin'
9. How Can A Poor Man Stand Such Times And Live (Bruce Springsteen Version)
10. Bring 'Em Home
11. American Land
12. Pay Me My Money Down
Bruce SpringsteenBruce Springsteen with the Sessions Band - Live in Dublin
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 47 ratings.
Based on 47 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Back to Tulsa: Live and Loud at Cain's Ballroom (2-CD)
Out of StockSave for Later
Top ranking titles in the Country & Bluegrass genre:
- Various Artists Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Country Roots (CD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Folsom Prison Blues / I Walk The Line (45) ~ $3
- Johnny Cash Original Golden Hits, Volumes 1 & 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Sings I Walk The Line / Sings Folsom Prison Blues (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Retrospective Classic Rock (3CD) ~ $7.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Retrospective Early Rock & Roll (3CD) ~ $7.98 on SALE
- The Duprees For Collectors Only: 47-Song Collection (2-CD) ~ $6.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $9.98 on SALE