- Rated: Unrated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 17 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: June 21, 2005
- Originally Released: 1935
- Label: Kino Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Additional Release Material:
- Music Highlights
- Featurette: JOSEPHINE BAKER: THE FILMS
- Subtitles - English
- Text/Photo Galleries:
Performers, Cast and Crew:
New York Times - 02/10/1989
"...The most enchanting "new" film in town....Both sophisticated and innocent. The combination is irresistible..."
A French author goes to North Africa to write a novel, but becomes distracted - then entranced - by a native girl whom he transforms into a "princess." Filmed in Tunisia. Based on a story by then-husband of Josephine Baker, Pepito Abatino.
The always enchanting Josephine Baker stars in this fascinating French musical.
An upper-class Parisian novelist, in need of some literary inspiration, visits Tunisia... and finds the lovely Alwina. The writer impulsively decides to bring the girl back to France where, after a few lessons in deportment, he will pass her off as Indian royalty.
His plan succeeds brilliantly, for very soon all of society has fallen at the feet of the exotic "Princess Tam Tam". But the author's wife resents Alwina and devises a plot to reveal the truth about the girl's identity...
Rags To Riches |
- Presented in Association with George Eastman House Film Archive; released by Kino International.