|You Save:||$2.49 (10% Off)|
- Rated: Unrated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 42 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: November 23, 1999
- Originally Released: 1921
- Label: Image Entertainment
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Packaging: Snap Case
- Digitally Mastered
- Original Music Score
- Includes two Keaton Shorts: THE BOAT (1921, 22 min.) and THE LOVE NEST (1923, 20 min.)
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Buster Keaton, Kathryn McGuire & Frederick Vroom|
|Performer:||Noble Johnson & Frederick Vroom|
|Directed by||Buster Keaton, Donald Crisp & Eddie Cline|
|Screenwriting by||Clyde Bruckman, Joseph Mitchell & Jean Havez|
Description by OLDIES.com:
In a return to the "pampered youth" role he had played in The Saphead (and Battling Butler), Keaton stars as Rollo Treadway, an inexperienced lad of extraordinary wealth -- and surprisingly little common sense -- who finds himself adrift on The Navigator with no one else on board excerpt an equally naive girl. After discovering each other's presence in an ingenious ballet of unintentional hide-and-seek, the couple resourcefully fashion a home for themselves aboard the derelict boat, in spite of their unfamiliarity with the tools of domesticity.
They then embark on a series of misadventures on the ocean floor and upon the high seas, surrounded by a fleet of menacing cannibals, where the film reaches its explosively funny climax, with the aid of a crate of rocket flares.
As a special feature, this DVD includes two additional complete films that demonstrate Keaton's penchant for maritime mayhem. In The Boat, Buster and family set sail aboard the homemade Damfino, while in The Love Nest (for decades a lost film until its recent rediscovery and restoration), he trades sailboat for U-boat to plumb new depths of hilarity.
The sweetly naive Rollo Treadway is so wealthy that others always attend to his every need; the girl across the street, whom he truly loves, lives an equally sheltered life. Then he and she get trapped together on an abandoned ship that saboteurs have set adrift. With no one to help them, the hopeless, helpless couple must learn to fend for themselves...
Comic highlights include the pair's first, misbegotten breakfast and their initial terror-filled night on the boat.
The video also includes two other "watery" shorts: "The Boat" and "The Love Nest".
- All films are silent with musical accompaniment.
- Includes the following films:
"The Navigator" (1924/Feature/60 mins.)
"The Boat" (1921/Short/22 mins.)
"The Love Nest" (1923/Short/20 mins.)
- "The Boat" and the "The Love Nest" are color tinted.
- The films in this collection were licensed by Kino from The Dardis Corporation under Gary Dartnell. The restoration was supervised by David Shepard of Film Preservation Associates. They have been digitally mastered and speed corrected.
- Series produced for video by David Shepard.
- "The Boat":
Written and Directed by Buster Keaton and Eddie Cline
Featuring Buster Keaton and Sybil Sealey
Musical Setting by Gaylord Carter
- "The Love Nest":
Written and Directed by Buster Keaton
Music Arranged and Directed by Robert Israel
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 14 ratings.