The Undisputed Truth Essential Collection
Only 5 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$8.98 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.01 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: April 1, 2002
- Originally Released: 2002
- Label: Polygram Uk
- 1.You Got The Love I Need - (studio)
- 2.You Make Your Own Heaven And Hell Right Here On Earth - (studio)
- 3.Papa Was A Rollin' Stone - (studio)
- 4.Girl You're Alright - (studio)
- 5.Mama I Gotta Brand New Thing (Don't Say No) - (studio)
- 6.Law Of The Land - (studio)
- 7.I'm A Fool For You - (studio)
- 8.Spaced Out - (studio)
- 9.Higher Than High - (studio)
- 10.Boogie Bump Boogie - (studio)
- 11.Save My Love For A Rainy Day - (studio)
- 12.Smiling Faces Sometimes - (studio)
- 13.What It Is - (studio)
- 14.Help Yourself - (studio)
- 15.What's Going On - (studio)
- 16.Lil' Red Riding Hood - (studio)
- 17.Ufo's - (studio)
- 18.Got To Get My Hands On Some Lovin' - (studio)
- 19.Let's Go Back To Day One - (studio)
The Undisputed Truth: Joe Harris, Billie Calvin, Brenda Evans, Tyrone Berkeley, Tyrone Douglas, Calvin Stephenson, Virginia MacDonald, Taka Boom.
Producers: Norman Whitfield, Clay MacMurray.
Recorded from 1971-1975. Includes liner notes by Michael Chapman.
All songs written or co-written by Norman Whitfield except "Girl You're Alright" (P. Sawyer/C. MacMurray).
This compilation presents the greatest hits of the Norman Whitfield-produced 1970s Motown band Undisputed Truth, including their most well-known song "Smiling Faces Sometimes."
As is usually the case, Motown's European division and its licensors have been more active than their American counterparts, which is why this 19-song, 78-minute compilation surfaced in 2002, a year before the U.S.-issued 12-song Smiling Faces: The Best of the Undisputed Truth. All 14 of the singles that were issued in America are represented, along with selected B-sides and album tracks, for a slightly more comprehensive overview of the group's output -- "Ball of Confusion (That's What the World Is Today)" and "Poontang" are missing, but in their place are some equally worthy cuts, mostly notably the group's poignant nine-minute rendition of "What's Going On." Obviously, along with being a cross-section of the group's sound, this compilation gives us a good look at Norman Whitfield's altering sensibilities, and the changes that American soul underwent during the four years represented. By 1972, the Undisputed Truth had moved into louder, bolder, more funk-oriented sounds (with the exceptions of "Smiling Faces Sometimes," "Papa Was a Rolling Stone," and their version of "What's Going On"); away from socially significant songs, and into more of a pure dance mode -- not that these aren't extraordinary dance productions; they are. Most notable is "Law of the Land," with its pounding, larger-than-life rhythm section and swooping, soaring orchestral accompaniment. The sound is excellent throughout, especially on the later cuts. The solo electric guitar on "What's Going On," with its mix of trills and rhythm fills, is virtually isolated on its own separate channel, and is almost worth the price of the disc by itself. Its presence here is also a subtle tribute to Whitfield's influence on Motown: he was, after all, responsible for convincing Berry Gordy that there was room for two different hit versions of "I Heard It Through the Grapevine," when Gordy thought there wasn't room for one, and the original "What's Going On" was another case of Gordy almost missing the boat on something new, daring, important, and wonderful, and here was a sincere attempt to reshape that song from the bottom up. Only on the later tracks, such as "UFO's," "Higher Than High," and "Boogie Bump Boogie," do inspiration and subtlety seem to desert the band's sound, but they get it back for "Let's Go Back to Day One." ~ Bruce Eder
Hitsville USA: The Motown Singles Collection 1959-1971... (CD)
$46.94 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 7 ratings.
Based on 7 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Somebody's Been Sleeping / 100 Proof Aged In Soul [Import] (CD)
$11.12 Super Savings
20th Century Masters: The Millennium Collection: Best of Atl (CD)
$8.34 Super Savings
Feel No Fret/Volume 8/Shine/Cupids in Fashion (CD)
$11.12 Super Savings
Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2: Awesome Mix Vol. 2 (CD)
$10.33 Super Savings
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists WDAS 105.3FM - Classic Soul Hits, Volume 1 (2-CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WDAS 105.3FM - Classic Soul Hits, Volume 4 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Danny & The Juniors Greatest Hits (2-CD) ~ $6.98 on SALE
- Skeeter Davis Blueberry Hill / The End of The World (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE