Dick Dale Surfers' Choice
|You Save:||$1.70 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: October 17, 2006
- Originally Released: 2006
- Label: Sundazed Music Inc.
Rolling Stone - p.110Ranked #6 in Rolling Stone's "The Top 10 Reissues Of 2006" -- "Dick Dale invented surf guitar: staccato bursts of loud, clean twang over explosive rhythms."
- 1.Surf Beat - (with Surfer's Choice)
- 2.Sloop John B - (with Surfer's Choice)
- 3.Take It Off - (with Surfer's Choice)
- 4.Night Owl - (with Surfer's Choice)
- 5.Fanny Mae - (with Surfer's Choice)
- 6.Misirlou Twist - (with Surfer's Choice)
- 7.Peppermint Man - (with Surfer's Choice)
- 8.Surfing Drums - (with Surfer's Choice)
- 9.Shake N' Stomp - (with Surfer's Choice)
- 10.Lovey Dovey - (with Surfer's Choice)
- 11.Death of a Gremmie - (with Surfer's Choice)
- 12.Let's Go Trippin' - (with Surfer's Choice)
- 13.Del-Tone Rock - (Bonus Track, with Surfer's Choice)
- 14.Jungle Fever - (Bonus Track, with Surfer's Choice)
- 15.Miserlou - (Bonus Track, with Surfer's Choice)
- 16.Eight till Midnight - (Bonus Track, with Surfer's Choice)
- 17.Lovin' on My Brain - (Bonus Track, with Surfer's Choice)
- 18.Run For Life, A - (Bonus Track, with Surfer's Choice)
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Very few early rock & roll albums were true groundbreakers, but this is one: not only did it single-handedly establish the surf music genre (and Dick Dale's hegemony over it), but also sold the entire concept to mass America, where surfing in landlocked regions was only a state of mind. Largely recorded at the Rendezvous Ballroom in Balboa Beach -- Dale's ruling home turf, where one can clearly hear the kids screaming in anticipation at the start of "Surf Beat" -- this lays out the vocal highlights from Dick's set list ("Peppermint Man," "Lovey Dovey," "Night Owl," "Fanny Mae," and "Sloop John B.," sounding very odd here with overdubbed strings) up against the instrumentals that truly forged the style. "Miserlou Twist" -- a different version than the original Del-Tone single -- and the original, pre-reverb single version of "Let's Go Trippin'" appear to be the only studio tracks aboard. But the live takes on "Surfing Drums" (later retitled "Tribal Thunder" on one of Dale's comeback albums), "Take It Off," "Shake 'n' Stomp," and the lowdown stomp of "Death of a Gremmie" just as clearly delineate the wild, reverbed excitement of the new style in its native habitat. Without a doubt, surf guitar's finest hour, the genre's equivalent to Charlie Parker's Dial recordings. ~ Cub Koda
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 9 ratings.
Based on 9 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Everything Is A-OK!/Astronauts Orbit Campus (Live) (CD)
$15.69 Super Savings
Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 3 - Disc 2 (CD)(3)
99¢ on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- King Curtis Enjoy Records - The Best of King Curtis (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Nelson Riddle & His Orchestra Hey... Let Yourself Go! / C'mon... Get Happy! (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Jukebox Hits of the 80s, Volume 4 & 5 (2-CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule - Volume 1 - Disc 4 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Soul (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE