- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: November 20, 2001
- Originally Released: 2001
- Label: Sundazed Music Inc.
Q - 4/02, p.1314 out of 5 stars
- "...Archive heaven for anyone interested in the formation of one of rock's most influential sounds..."
Uncut - 11/01, p.1144 stars out of 5
- "...One of the gems in the latest batch of Poptones reissues..."
Mojo (Publisher) - 3/02, p.126
"...The epitome of West Coast Beatles-meets-Dylan cool....Most breathtaking for newcomers is the depth of the early Gene Clark material..."
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.Reason Why, The - (version II)
- 2.You Won't Have to Cry - (electric version)
- 3.She Has a Way - (previously unreleased, version IV)
- 4.You Showed Me - (electric version)
- 5.Here Without You - (version III)
- 6.Don't Be Long
- 7.I Knew I'd Want You - (electric version II)
- 8.Boston - (previously unreleased, version II)
- 9.Tomorrow Is a Long Ways Away - (electric version)
- 10.For Me Again - (previously unreleased, version II)
- 11.It's No Use - (previously unreleased, version II)
- 12.You Movin' - (previously unreleased, version IV)
- 13.Please Let Me Love You
- 14.The Airport Song
- 15.Mr. Tambourine Man - (electric version)
- 16.She Has a Way - (previously unreleased, version III)
- 17.I Knew I'd Want You - (previously unreleased, electric version I)
- 18.Boston - (previously unreleased, instrumental track instrumental)
- 19.You Showed Me - (previously unreleased, instrumental track instrumental)
- 20.Times They Are A-Changin', The - (previously unreleased, instrumental track instrumental)
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.The Only Girl I Adore
- 2.Tomorrow Is a Long Ways Away - (acoustic version)
- 3.You Showed Me - (acoustic version)
- 4.I Knew I'd Want You - (acoustic version)
- 5.You Won't Have to Cry - (acoustic version)
- 6.Mr. Tambourine Man - (acoustic version)
- 7.Willie Jean
- 8.Come Back Baby
- 9.Jack of Diamonds - (previously unreleased)
- 10.Get Together - (previously unreleased)
- 11.She Has a Way - (previously unreleased, version I)
- 12.Here Without You - (version I)
- 13.For Me Again - (version I)
- 14.It's No Use - (version I)
- 15.You Movin' - (version I)
- 16.Boston - (version I)
- 17.She Has a Way - (version II)
- 18.You Movin' - (previously unreleased, version II)
- 19.Reason Why, The - (previously unreleased, version I)
- 20.It's No Use - (previously unreleased, version II)
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
The Byrds: David Crosby, Roger McGuinn (vocals, guitar); Gene Clark (vocals, tambourine); Chris Hillman (bass guitar); Michael Clarke (drums).
Audio Mixer: Bob Irwin.
Liner Note Authors: Barry Feinstein; Harvey Gerst; Domenic Priore; Jackie DeShannon; Carl Franzoni; Jim Dickson; David Fricke.
Photographer: Barry Feinstein.
This two-disc session is bound to be the final word in the recordings made by The Byrds prior to their signing (and even before adopting that moniker). Earlier collections, PREFLYTE and IN THE BEGINNING, are encompassed here and expanded with still more newly unearthed recordings (16 are previously unissued). The band's folk roots are very much in evidence, as their sound slowly evolves into its familiar form.
Gene Clark's songwriting powers almost the whole set, including a few co-writes. Only six of the 40 songs are by writers outside the band, three not surprisingly by Bob Dylan. The set mixes finished recordings with what are clearly demos. However, whatever some of those recordings are missing in terms of production values, is more than made up for by the opportunity to hear this quintet full of creative gusto smack dab in the middle of the 1960s. A prime example is "You Movin'," in which they sound like they're definitely on the verge of something big, tripping over themselves on their path down the runway.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 10 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to
write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 103,736
- UPC: 090771111623
- Shipping Weight: 0.39/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 2 items