Solomon Burke Proud Mary: The Bell Sessions
11 copies available
|You Save:||$1.70 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: July 18, 2000
- Originally Released: 2000
- Label: Sundazed Music Inc.
Q - 11/00, p.1223 stars out of 5 - "...Amply demonstrates Burke's great all-time soul voice....rumbling his way through 'I'll Be Doggone', 'These Arms Are Mine' and a liberal reinterpretation of the title track..."
Uncut - p.764 stars out of 5 -- "The loose but near-telepathic understanding between the soul heavyweight and the musicians is obvious from the opening track..."
Dirty Linen - 4-5/01, p.83"...A classic....giving you a sense of the power and energy of one of music's greatest unsung heroes....Burke breathes fire in every gasp and plea..."
Living Blues - 11-12/00, pp.86,88"...It rides a steamy groove midway between hard soul and jubilant pop-rock....It's almost impossible to go wrong with a Solomon Burke collection, and this stands as one of his finest."
Mojo (Publisher) - 11/00, p.118"...Glowing eulogistic covernotes from John Fogerty, a great cover of 'In The Ghetto' and a previously unissued gospel hoedown take on 'The Mighty Quinn'....the pick of the crop..."
- 1.Proud Mary
- 2.These Arms of Mine
- 3.I'll Be Doggone
- 4.How Big a Fool (Can a Fool Be)
- 5.Don't Wait Too Long
- 6.That Lucky Old Sun (Just Rolls Around Heaven All Day)
- 7.Uptight Good Woman
- 8.I Can't Stop (No, No, No)
- 9.Please Send Me Someone to Love
- 10.What Am I Living For?
- 11.She Thinks I Still Care - (previously unreleased)
- 12.I'm Gonna Stay Right Here
- 13.The Generation of Revelations
- 14.In the Ghetto
- 15.God Knows I Love You
- 16.Mighty Quinn, The (Quinn the Eskimo) - (previously unreleased)
- 17.Change Is Gonna Come, A - (previously unreleased)
This reissue includes seven bonus tracks recorded during the PROUD MARY sessions.
Personnel includes: Solomon Burke (vocals).
Producers: Solomon Burke, Tamiko Jones, Mac Davis.
Reissue producers: Efram Turchick, Bill Dahl.
Engineers include: Mickey Buckins.
Recorded in Muscle Shoals, Alabama in 1969 & 1970. Originally released on Amy (6033). Includes liner notes by John Fogerty and Bill Dahl.
Digitally remastered by Bob Irwin (Sundaze Studios, Coxsackie, New York).
Liner Note Author: Bill Dahl.
Recording information: Muscle Shoals, AL (1969-1970).
Photographers: Fred Kaplan; Al Quaglieri; Bill Miller .
Arrangers: Gene Page; Solomon Burke.
Solomon Burke was one of the greatest voices to come out the 1960s soul explosion, the same period that produced James Brown, Marvin Gaye, and Otis Redding. Burke's style mixes mellow, country-tinged elegance with shouting, Southern gospel-charged R&B, and was an influence on the early British invasion. (Steve Marriott and Mick Jagger, to name two--and the Rolling Stones covered two of his songs). In the late '60s he left Atlantic and signed with Bell, and scored a hit with Creedence Clearwater Revival's "Proud Mary."
This album serves as a fine representation of Burke's power and versatility: he recasts country classics "She Thinks I Still Care" and "That Lucky Old Sun" in his own soulful, reverent manner. He also produces a tantalizingly slow and bluesy take on Marvin Gaye's "I'll Be Doggone." The music is prime Muscle Shoals R&B, simmering and sharp, with just the right touch of pop "sweetening" (such as the electric sitar flourish on "How Big A Fool") in the tradition of the classic DUSTY (Springfield) IN MEMPHIS.
Lightning in a Bottle: A One Night History of the Blues (DVD)(59)
$8.69 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Essential Recordings: The Great Johnny Adams Jazz Album (CD)
$8.73 Super Savings
I'm the One Who Loves You: The Complete Volt Recordings (CD)
$12.35 Super Savings
Storm Warning: Philly Original Soul Classics, Volume 1 (CD)(2)
$13.95 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 3 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Herd Very Best of I Can Fly (Featuring Peter Frampton) (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE