- Number of Discs: 5
- Released: October 28, 2008
- Originally Released: 2008
- Label: Shout Factory
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.Shit, It's Only 11 O'Clock Here
- 2.We're Up At Bass Lake
- 3.All the Empty Cans and Beer Cartons Are On Top of the Car
- 4.No Notes After Two Days of This Hell's Angels Thing
- 5.It's August 5, Thursday Night, We're On the Freeway Now
- 6.Was Clovis a Run?
- 7.You Ever Try Peyote, Hunter?
- 8.I'm Not Worried Until the Book Comes Out
- 9.I'm Putting You To a Terrible Inconvenience, Hunter
- 10.On My Way Back Now From Taking Terry the Tramp Home
- 11.When I Was Talking To the the Frisco Angels the Other Night About Their Wife-Swapping...
- 12.Also Like To Get the Idea Down
- 13.What Follows Here is a Conversation Between Me and Allen Ginsberg and Two Police Officers
- 14.Ambulance Rolling, Code 3 (With Ginsberg Humming)
- 15.Tonight Was Saturday, August 7
- 16.They Run It Down That This Girl Was a Poor 19 Year Old Little Broad
- 17.Porterville is the One That Time Used, Right?
- 18.Who Was She, Have You Ever Seen Her?
- 19.Do You Remember What Day It Was?
- 20.We're Going To Have To Get Some Wisdom, Some Comments Down
- 21.It's Snowy Outside, Getting Light
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.It's Monday Afternoon, We Have a White Cadillac Convertible
- 2.Did You See the Way That Guy Looked At Us?
- 3.Well, She Was Crazy. It Was Clear When I Came Into the Room That She Was Nuts,
- 4.Abbe Lane At the Desert Inn. Louis Prime, Stardust
- 5.You Get What You Pay For
- 6.What We Should Do is Just Call the Free Press
- 7.We Could Certainly Use Some Mescaline
- 8.The White House Says the Guest List For Tricia Nixon and Edward Cox's Wedding In June is Limited To No More Than 400 People
- 9.Let Me Call Wilcock If I Can and See If I Can Get Us Some Drugs
- 10.Oh, Hi, is Jay There?
- 11.It's Ringing
- 12.If All Else Fails Swe Must Get Ether
- 13.Remote Control Rw15
- 14.Maybe That's Where We've Gone Wrong
- 15.I'm Getting Tired of Giving You Advice That You're Not Taking
- 16.Can They Rent That With the Option To Buy?
- 17.How Much is Your Cheapest Clarinet?
- 18.What's This?
- 19.While Taking a Piss There It Suddenly Struck Me What's Going On Here
Tracks on Disc 3:
- 1.As Usual, You're Afraid of Mexicans, Aren't You?
- 2.We're Approaching the Fog Cutter
- 3.We're Going To the Pussycat Now
- 4.Chances Are Very Good That I'll Leave Tomorrow
- 5.Yes, This is Oscar Acosta In Room 1224
- 6.Boulder Highway, Heading Toward Lake Mead In the Great White Whale
- 7.Two Things We Should Probably Get Down
- 8.Ah Yes, We're Coming Over a Hill Here
- 9.I Was Just Kind of Walking Around Picking Up All This Literature
- 10.A Strange Backwaters of Some Sort; a 300 Pound Girl and a 90 Pound Boy
- 11.I'm Pulling Off On a Side Road
- 12.Aw, Jesus
- 13.Maybe I'll Drive Back Into These Weird Holes
- 14.People Appear Out of Nowhere In This Desert
- 15.What the Fuck's Going On Here
- 16.Las Vegas, April 29, Thursday Night, After the D.a.'S Convention
- 17.I Can't Imagine How I'm Going To Get This Whole Fucking Room Into One and a Half Suitcases
- 18.When I Start To Grapple With Vegas...
- 19.I Figure I'm Going To Star On Vegas Ll On Wednesday
- 20.Anyway, There's a Vegas To Be Finished
Tracks on Disc 4:
- 1.This Microphone Wound Up Beneath Something Down There
- 2.There's Signs of Group Hysteria In the Passengers
- 3.Some Are Just Weeping Now
- 4.Well, the Beauty of the Whole Thing....
- 5.It's March 30th, Actually March 31
- 6.The Piece Was Interrupted; the Piece Ended Here Because the Telephone Went Out
- 7.Have Found Thompson, He's With Kissinger
- 8.They Still Can't Reach Me
- 9.The Story is Fear and Loathing In Acapulco
- 10.Telephone Call Between Duke and Gonzo
- 11.The Girls Are Laughing
- 12.Here's the First Symptom of This Goddamn Evil Drug
- 13.I've Done What Most People Would Consider an Excessive Amount of Coke
- 14.This is Wednesday Night, the Third Day of Our Cocaine Experiment
- 15.I Would Not Be Inclined
- 16.There Appears To Be Some Minimal But At Least Noticealbe Physical or Erotic Quality To It
- 17.June 28, I Think It's a Friday
- 18.We're Out Here, It's , Uh, I Don't Know What Time It is, Sometime In the Early Morning.
- 19.Yeah, We Should Relax For a Second
- 20.Lying Down On the Bed In This Stinking Little Room
- 21.I Have Every Reason To Believe That We Won't See the Fight Tonight
- 22.Fiendish. the Thing is So Bad There's No Way To Write a Story About It.
- 23.Tomorrow Morning At 6 O'Clock In the Hotel Lobby...Many Ugly Little Weird Scores Settled
- 24.There's No Way You Can Coneive What's Going To Happen To Us Tonight
- 25.....Called a Meeting Here
- 26.I Realise It's Difficult This Time of Night
- 27.We Really Have No Tickets
- 28.Ladies and Gentlemen, the Captain Has Turned On the Seat Belt Sign
Tracks on Disc 5:
- 1.Hello, Hunter
- 2.Why Don't You Talk To Gloria
- 3.Hello. Long Distance Calling For Gloria Emerson
- 4.When Were You Last There?
- 5.Want To Go, Hunter?
- 6.We Should Be In Saigon, In Loren Jenkins' Room #48 of the Continental Palace Hotel
- 7.I Wasn't In a Position To Interpret That One Thousand Rounds, Two Thousand Rounds
- 8.Nine O'Clock, Thursday Morning, Saigon, Continental Hotel, Room # 37
- 9.Now It's Friday Morning
- 10.What Did You Hear?
- 11.To Get To Where We Were Yesterday....
- 12.And What Was When This Goddamn Machine Broke
- 13.And Based On a Prediction That Ford's Speech is Going To Be Rudely Received In Saigon....
- 14.Meanwhile I Have To Go Over To the Newsweek Office
- 15.Five Minutes of Six, In the Newsweek Office
- 16.Let's See, the News Tonight
- 17.The Last Commercial Airliner Still Flying Out of Here-Air Vietnam Flight 783, Hong Kong
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Editor: Nathan Salsburg.
Introduction by: Alex Gibney.
Released as a five-disc set boasting over 100 tracks of audio recordings from Duke's vault, taken specifically between the years 1965 and 1975, The Gonzo Tapes: The Life and Work of Dr. Hunter S. Thompson is an extensive listen: extensive, but exhaustive in every sense of the word. While Thompson was on his assignments, whether it was on location for Rolling Stone or during a phone call with his editor, he documented everything; muttering thoughts onto cassettes haphazardly as his pill-propelled mind raced, before coming down to earth and typing his notes into fully realized stories. Thompson was an obsessive archivist and the basis for all of his written works was his tape recorder. Having a key to this vault and a chance to hear all these original tapes should be, in theory, a dream come true for his fans. It seems like a no fail. Here we have a raw voyeuristic look into the mind of a genius writer. Unfortunately, because the content at hand is so completely indecipherable, the collection falls way short of expectations. If it wasn't already hard to understand Hunter's speedy and sporadic lock-jawed ramblings in live interviews, the excessive background noise (air ducts, cover bands, outside conversations, howling Hell's Angels, Andrew Lloyd Webber albums, his lawyer's pan flute) makes his slur even more difficult to understand, as do the random mic bumps and variety of recorder settings (the pocket of his Hawaiian shirt is one, the sink of a bathroom while he showers is another). Even with a solid, 42-page booklet of notes, diehards will have a tough time determining exactly what is taking place, leaving one to wonder if this content should have only been pulled from its basement resting place for its original purpose of supporting the film documentary Gonzo: The Life and Work of Dr. Hunter S. Thompson, and then laid to rest. Museum curators will get a kick out the historical value (especially the two and a half hours of material that would ultimately make up Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas), aspiring writers will find his technique of getting ideas to print inspirational, but casual listeners will find it frustrating trying to decipher the babble from the static. ~ Jason Lymangrover
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 9 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to
write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 55,666
- UPC: 826663109924
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 5 items