Rudy Ray Moore
Hully Gully Fever
Rare & Hard-To-Find Audio CDs (series)
LOW STOCK: Only 1 copy left
|You Save:||$5.03 (28% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: June 6, 2000
- Originally Released: 2000
- Label: Norton
CMJ - 7/3/00, p.25"...The first compilation ever assembled of Moore's early songs, on which he could rock and swing with the best of 'em....belting out the blues like a rumbling tempest..."
Living Blues - 11-12/00, pp.75-6"...Well worth having....his R&B efforts were polished for popular consumption in obvious hopes of latching onto the success of '50s hit-makers like Little Richard and Lloyd Price..."
- 1.I'm Mad With You
- 2.My Little Angel
- 3.The Buggy Ride
- 4.Ring A-Ling Song
- 5.Step It Up And Go
- 6.Let Me Come Home
- 7.Robbie Dobbie
- 8.I'll Be Home To See You Tomorrow
- 9.Dolphin's Record Shop Radio Spot, KGFJ
- 11.It Hurts Me To My Heart
- 12.Ready Willing And Able
- 13.The SeniorsMy Soul
- 14.So Good To Me
- 15.The SeniorsHully Gully Fever (And The Flu Bug Too)
- 16.Driveway Blues
- 17.Herman Griffith Radio Spot, KGFJ
- 18.Rally In The Valley
- 19.Hully Gully Papa
- 20.Scotch Fever (Unissued)
- 21.Whatcha Gonna Do
- 22.Ray And JeanBallad Of A Boy And Girl (Undubbed)
- 23.Angels On Earth
- 24.Don't Go No Farther (Alternate Take)
- 25.Lonnie Johnson Radio Spot, KGFJ
- 26.Baby That's Why I'm Your Fool
- 27.Hurts Me To My Heart
- 28.Bring It On Home To Me / I'm In Love Again
Personnel includes: Rudy Ray Moore (vocals).
Producer: Rudy Ray Moore.
Compilation producer: Donald H. Randall.
Includes liner notes by Rudy Ray Moore.
Before Rudy Ray Moore became famous as Dolomite, he spent years trying to make it as an R&B singer. Hully Gully Fever collects the fruits of his labor. These 28 tracks date from the '50s and '60s and include singles, unreleased masters, radio spots, and live tracks. The earliest tracks are jump blues-influenced, but soon Moore is playing rock & roll. He also tries the blues and a couple of tracks sound like early soul music. Moore is a passable singer, getting by on energy more than skill. The best tracks are the humorous songs like "The Buggy Ride," "Scotch Fever," "Ring A-Ling Dong," "Baby, That's Why I'm Your Fool," and "Step It up and Go," but Moore's rough delivery is also convincing on slow blues numbers like "So Good to Me" and "Hurts Me to My Heart." A couple of tracks are not successful -- like the dopey duet with an unnamed female singer on "Ballad of a Boy and Girl" and the generic "Whatcha Gonna Do," which comes complete with smooth vocal group backing. These missteps are made up for by the raw and ready live version of Sam Cooke's "Bring It on Home to Me" that has Moore delivering some nasty and funny monologues in between verses. Hully Gully Fever is a fascinating look at the early days of a comedy legend. It's worth it just for the liner notes that feature Rudy Ray Moore's story as told by the man himself. ~ Tim Sendra
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 54,687
- UPC: 731253027628
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Top ranking titles in the R&B / Soul genre:
- The Gap Band Early In The Morning / Open Your Mind (Wide) (45) ~ $2.99 on SALE
- War Me And Baby Brother / Ballero (45) ~ $2.99 on SALE
- Enchantment Golden Classics, Featuring "Gloria" (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WDAS 105.3FM - Classic Soul Hits, Volume 5 (2-CD) ~ $9.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Soul Classics, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE