- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 29 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: November 25, 2003
- Originally Released: 1932
- Label: Kino Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Additional Release Material:
- Audio Commentary: Miles Kreuger - Founder and President, Institute of the American Musical, Inc.
- Trailers: Original Theatrical Trailer
- Text/Photo Galleries:
- Photo Gallery and Promotional Material
- Production Documents and Censorship Records
- Screenplay Excerpts of Deleted Scenes
- Additional Products:
- Booklet Essay - Miles Kreuger, Founder and President, Institute of the American Musical, Inc.
- "Louise" - Maurice Chevalier
- "Love Me Tonight" - Jeanette MacDonald (from the Paramount Newsreel - HOLLYWOOD ON PARADE)
Performers, Cast and Crew:
USA Today - 11/28/2003
"Many movie-savvy people rate Rouben Mamoulian's classic as among the best '30s musicals."
In this sweet, romantic comedy of errors set in Paris, Maurice Chevalier plays a poor tailor, Maurice Courtelin, who moves in with nobility when he tries to collect a debt from Vicomte Gilbert de Vareze (Charles Ruggles) who cannot pay. To buy time, de Vareze invites Courtelin to stay with his family, and introduces him as a baron. Courtelin's overwhelming charm soon wins over the entire household, including the alluring Princess Jeanette (Jeanette MacDonald). Though at first skeptical of his pedigree, Princess Jeanette warms to Courtelin - does romance follow' In addition to the superb lead performances, Charles Ruggles and Myna Loy supply steady laughs with their loony caricatures, and Rouben Mamoulian's direction takes full advantage of the talented cast and music provided by Rodgers and Hart. This rollicking musical possesses even more significance given its pre-code status - a film made prior to the institution of the self-censorship of sex, violence and other controversial content that began formally in 1934 and lasted until the late 1960s.
Mistaken Identity |
Musical Sequences |
Musicals / Music Videos |
Paris, France |