Ralph Stanley Old-Time Pickin': A Clawhammer Banjo Collection
Only 5 copies left
|You Save:||$1 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: October 7, 2008
- Originally Released: 2008
- Label: Rebel Records
Dirty Linen - p.65"OLD-TIME PICKIN' showcases Stanley's influential picking on a variety of old-time songs and lightning-fast instrumentals."
- 1.Rocky Island
- 2.Shout Little Lulie
- 3.Battle Ax - (previously unreleased)
- 4.Pretty Girls, City Lights
- 5.Cripple Creek - (previously unreleased)
- 6.I've Got A Mule To Ride - (previously unreleased)
- 7.Medley: Old McDonald / Cindy - (previously unreleased)
- 8.Shady Grove - (previously unreleased)
- 9.John Henry
- 10.Little Birdie
- 11.Cuttin' The Cornbread
- 12.Bound To Ride
- 13.Married Life Blues - (previously unreleased)
- 14.Black-Eyed Susie - (previously unreleased)
- 15.Kentucky Shine - (previously unreleased)
- 16.True Blue Bill
- 17.Dixieland (My Old Home Town) - (previously unreleased)
- 18.Old Time Pickin'
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Ralph Stanley (vocals, tenor, banjo); Ralph Stanley II, Charlie Sizemore (vocals); Keith Whitley, Roy Lee Centers, Junior Blankenship, Ricky Lee (guitar); John Rigsby, Ricky Skaggs (mandolin); Curley Ray Cline, James Price (fiddle); Jack Cooke (bass instrument).
Liner Note Author: Eddie Dean.
Recording information: Maggard Sound Studio, Big Stone Gap, VA.
Photographer: Lenny Atkins.
Arranger: Ralph Stanley.
After the explosion of interest in Appalachian music in the 1990s and early 2000s--and particularly after his stirring version of "O Death" for the O BROTHER WHERE ART THOU soundtrack--Ralph Stanley cemented his status as one of the greatest Appalachian singers of the 20th century. True as that may be, this uptick in popularity overshadowed his mastery of the clawhammer banjo. While Earl Scruggs took the bluegrass world by storm in the '50s with his three-fingered arpeggios, Stanley stayed true to the old-time style and dug his heels even deeper when he went solo after his brother's 1966 death. OLD-TIME PICKIN' collects three decades (1971-2000) of performances that foreground Stanley's banjo ferocity and the delights of old-time bluegrass played decidedly non-progressively. The highlights are many--"Shout Little Lulie," and the title track, to name two--but hearing clich‚d numbers such as "Little Birdie" come alive in his hands is alone worth the sticker price. Various line-ups of the Clinch Mountain Boys--featuring such legends as Curly Ray Cline, John Rigsby, and Ricky Lee--accompany him throughout the 18 tracks.
Ralph StanleyA Distant Land To Roam: Ralph Stanley Sings Songs of The...
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Based on 4 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~
$8.48 Super Savings
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - The 60's, Part 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE