The Fighting Sullivans (2-DVD)
Out of Print: Future availability is unknown
Format: DVD (2 Discs)
- Optional English Subtitles
- Original Theatrical Trailer
- A Tribute to the Sullivan Brothers
- Eyewitness Account by Victor Gibson
- Interview with Frank Holmgren
- Speeches by Wyatt Butterfield and Lt. Cmdr. Lester Zook
- Number of Discs: 2
- Rated: PG
- Run Time: 1 hours, 52 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: November 22, 2005
- Originally Released: 1944
- Label: Vci Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: This release is a new digital transfer.
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Dolby Digital Mono - English
Disc 1: THE FIGHTING SULLIVANS
Disc 2: BONUS MATERIALS
- Additional Release Material:
- Interviews: Frank Holmgren - Last Survivor of the Sinking
- Trailers: Original Theatrical Trailer
- Video Inside the 5 Sullivan Brothers Veterans Museum
- Message From Bob Neymeyer of the Grout Museum
- Memorials from Family Members
- Last Muster List
- U.S.S. Juneau Action Account Letter By Lieutenant Roger W. O'Neal
- Scene Selection
- A Letter from President Franklin D. Roosevelt
- Personal Letters
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Performer:||Anne Baxter, Selena Royle, Ward Bond, Bobby Driscoll, Addison Richards, Trudy Marshall, John Campbell, James Cardwell, John Alvin, Roy Roberts, Edward Ryan & George Offerman, Jr.|
|Directed by||Lloyd Bacon|
|Screenwriting by||Mary McCall|
|Composition by||Alfred Newman|
|Director of Photography:||Lucien Andriot|
Description by OLDIES.com:
This is the movie that inspired Saving Private Ryan. It's the true story of five brothers who fought and died together when their ship, the American cruiser Juneau, was sunk in the South Pacific during World War II. The Fighting Sullivans is something more than a worthy tribute to a pair of small town parents and the five sons they lost when the Juneau blew up in a battle off Guadalcanal on November 13, 1942. It is a heartwarming slice of Americana that will fill in the background of any number of Americans on the fighting front. The audience's awareness of the news in store for the Sullivan family adds considerably to the film's effect. The Fighting Sullivans generates emotion strictly on it's own terms and without bidding for tears. This commemorative Edition marks the 63rd anniversary of the sinking of the Juneau.
The wartime forerunner of the story told in SAVING PRIVATE RYAN (1998) is this emotionally gripping depiction of the Sullivan boys of Waterloo, Iowa. Amid all the tales of personal tragedy in WW II, this one stands out. The five inseparable brothers enlisted together after Pearl Harbor and were all assigned to a battleship that ended up at Guadalcanal--where all five brothers died in action. A moving tribute to those who gave their lives in the last world war.
Brothers | Family Interaction | Tear Jerker | True Story | War | World War II
Saving Private Ryan (D-Day 60th Anniversary Commemorative...
$16.21 Super Savings
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 105 ratings.
Based on 105 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to write an online review of this product!
Iron Angel (1964) / Then There Were Three (1961) (DVD-R)
Atrocities of the Orient (aka Beast of the East) (DVD)
Sons of Kong: 10 Full-Length Movies on 3-DVDs (3D Pop-Up...
$1.98 on SALE
Blood of Ghastly Horror (Deluxe Collector's Ed.) (DVD)
$1.58 on SALE
Redneck Zombies (20th Anniversary Ed.) (DVD + CD Soundtrack)
$1.58 on SALE
Sea Hunt - 24 Hour Television Marathon Collection (8-DVD)
$5.58 on SALE