Generations of Blues, Volume 1 - Legendary Guitarists
by Various Artists
- Released: May 19, 1998
- Originally Released: 1998
- Label: Vanguard Records
- 1.B.B. KingThe Thrill Is Gone
- 2.Buddy GuyI'm Ready
- 3.Muddy WatersJust Make Love To Me
- 4.Reverend Gary DavisYou Got To Move
- 5.Mississippi John HurtMonday Morning Blues
- 6.Bobby "Blue" BlandI Pity The Fool
- 7.John HammondMidnight Hour Blues
- 8.Freddie KingHide Away Medley
- 9.John Lee HookerIt Serves You Right To Suffer
- 10.Mississippi Fred McDowelllLouise
- 11.Skip JamesWorried Blues
- 12.Albert KingCold Feet
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Performers include: Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker, Mississippi Fred McDowell, Reverend Gary Davis, Mississippi John Hurt, B.B. King, Buddy Guy, Freddy King, Bobby Blue Bland, Skip James, John Hammond, Albert King.
Liner Note Author: Roy Trakin.
Photographers: David Gahr; Joe Alper.
Subtitled "Legendary Guitarists," this compilation includes B.B. King's "The Thrill Is Gone" and Freddie King's "Hideaway," with immortal all-time memorable guitar solos. There is a nice addition of acoustic guitarists. There's Rev. Gary Davis (doing a precious "You Got to Move,") Skip James, Mississippi Fred McDowell, Mississippi John Hurt and John Hammond. Thing is, the emphasis is more on vocals than great guitar soloists. Classic takes of John Lee Hooker's "Serves You Right to Suffer" and Bobby "Blue" Bland's "I Pity the Fool" are included, but the tracks from Buddy Guy ("I'm Ready,") Muddy Waters (he should be doing "I'm Ready,") and John Hammond in particular are not definitive. This is a good collection, but it could have been so much better. ~ Michael G. Nastos
WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Soul (CD)(2)
$2.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!