Ohio Players Funk on Fire: The Mercury Anthology (2-CD)
Only 4 copies left
|You Save:||$3 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: June 17, 2002
- Originally Released: 2002
- Label: Mercury
Q - 10/95, p.1434 Stars - Excellent - "...George Clinton has pinched all the mid-'70s funk kudos for himself, perhaps The Ohio Players deserve some too..."
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.Skin Tight
- 2.Jive Turkey
- 3.Heaven Must Be Like This
- 6.I Want To Be Free
- 7.It's All Over
- 8.Piano Ballad (Just Right) - (previously unreleased)
- 10.Sweet Sticky Thing - (Quad mix)
- 11.Love Rollercoaster
- 13.There It Is - (previously unreleased)
- 14.Happy Holidays, Parts 1 & 2
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.Who'd She Coo?
- 3.Far East Mississippi
- 4.Only A Child Can Love
- 7.Body Vibes
- 8.Alone - (live)
- 9.Good Luck Charm
- 11.Time Slips Away
- 12.Shady Lady - (previously unreleased)
- 13.Wonderful - (previously unreleased)
- 14.More Than Love - (previously unreleased)
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
FUNK ON FIRE: THE MERCURY ANTHOLOGY includes a 24-page booklet.
The Ohio Players: Leroy "Sugarfoot" Bonner (vocals, guitar); Clarence "Chet" Willis (guitar, background vocals); Clarence "Satch" Satchell (flute, saxophone, percussion, background vocals); Ralph "Pee Wee" Middlebrooks, Marvin "Merv" Pierce (trumpet); James "Diamond" Williams (flugelhorn, drums, congas, timbales, percussion, gong, background vocals); William "Billy" Beck (keyboards, percussion, background vocals); Marshall Jones (bass); Robert "Kumba" Jones (congas).
Additional personnel: Paul Serrano, Jack Kramer (horns).
Producer: Ohio Players.
Compilation producers: Ohio Players, Harry Weinger.
Recorded between 1974 & 1978. Includes liner notes by Alan Light.
All tracks have been digitally remastered.
From their erotically charged album covers to their grinding, bass-heavy grooves, the Ohio Players were one of the highest profile funk bands of the 1970s. The superb two-disc anthology FUNK ON FIRE represents everything that made the Players great--fine musicianship, a blend of fiercely syncopated rhythms with pop accessibility, and a sassy, outrageous attitude (thanks, in large part, to the animated vocals of Leroy "Sugarfoot" Bonner). Though the Players released several records for the Detroit-based Westbound label in the early part of their career, they really hit their stride when they signed to Mercury, where they released a string of charting albums, including the funk classics FIRE and HONEY.
All the hits and key tracks from the Mercury albums are here, including the hard-driving "Fire" and the infectious "Love Rollercoaster," as well as lush, keyboard- and falsetto-drenched ballads ("Together"). While the Players' late-'70s material is generally considered inferior to their mid-'70s work, the second disc of this anthology does an admirable job of picking the best tracks from these later albums--"O-H-I-O" and the spacey "Funk-O-Nots," among them. In short, the Players' best work is boiled down on this definitive set, making it a crucial addition to any funk library.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 14 ratings.
Based on 14 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $8.48 LABOR DAY
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE