- Released: November 7, 2000
- Originally Released: 2000
- Label: Hip-O Records
- 1.Baby I Need Your Loving
- 2.Ask The Lonely
- 3.I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch)
- 4.It's The Same Old Song
- 5.Reach Out I'll Be There
- 6.Standing In The Shadows Of Love
- 7.Shake Me, Wake Me (When It's Over)
- 9.Walk Away Renee
- 10.You Keep Running Away
- 11.If I Were A Carpenter
- 12.Still Water (Love)
- 13.It's All In The Game
- 14.Nature Planned It (It's The Way)
- 15.Ain't No Woman (Like The One I've Got)
- 16.Keeper Of The Castle
- 17.Are You Man Enough
- 18.Sweet Understanding Love
- 19.One Chain Don't Make No Prison
- 20.Midnight Flower
- 22.When She Was My Girl
- 23.I Just Can't Walk Away
- 24.I Believe In You And Me
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
The Four Tops: Levi Stubbs, Renaldo "Obie" Benson, Abdul "Duke" Fakir, Lawrence Payton.
Additional personnel: The Andantes (background vocals).
Producers: Brian Holland, Lamont Dozier, William "Mickey" Stevenson, Ivy Jo Hunter, Michael Brown.
Compilation producer: Pat Lawrence.
Recorded between 1964 and 1982. Includes liner notes by Steven Ivory.
Personnel: Levi Stubbs (vocals).
Liner Note Author: Steven Ivory.
Arrangers: Jerry Long; Dennis Lambert; Don Hockett; Gil Askey; Jimmy Roach; Michael Omartian.
An all but impossible to beat single disc greatest hits set, this collection covers just about every crucial stage of the Tops' career. During Motown's 1960s glory days, the Tops were abetted by the brilliant writing/producing team of Holland-Dozier-Holland. The timeless soul classics that sprung forth, including "Baby I Need Your Loving" and the epic "Reach Out I'll Be There," are indeed essential.
The group's post-HDH career is surprisingly rewarding, from soulful covers of Tim Hardin and the Left Banke, to their early 1970s successes at ABC/Paramount ("Ain't No Woman Like the One I Got"), and their disco era smash ("When She Was My Girl"). If you only have room for one Four Tops album, this is the one to grab.