Allen Toussaint Finger Poppin' and Stompin' Feet: 20 Classic Allen Toussaint Productions for Minit...
|You Save:||$1.20 (10% Off)|
Temporarily Out of Stock: We'll get more as soon as possible
- Released: March 12, 2002
- Label: Capitol
Living Blues - 9-10/02, p.79"...Some of the best New Orleans music of all time..."
- 1.It Will Stand - (with The Showmen)
- 2.Mother In Law - (with Ernie K-Doe)
- 3.Over You - (with Aaron Neville)
- 4.Heavenly Baby - (with Allen & Allen)
- 5.Ooh Poo Pah Doo (Part 1) - (with Jessie Hill)
- 6.'Tain't It The Truth - (with Ernie K-Doe)
- 7.Cry On - (with Irma Thomas)
- 8.True Love Never Dies - (with Allen Orange)
- 9.Let's Live - (with Aaron Neville)
- 10.Te-Ta-Te-Ta-Ta - (with Ernie K-Doe)
- 11.Whip It On Me - (with Jessie Hill)
- 12.Fortune Teller - (with Benny Spellman)
- 13.I Cried My Last Tear - (with Ernie K-Doe)
- 14.Lipstick Traces (On A Cigarette) - (with Benny Spellman)
- 15.Always Naggin' (Grumblin' Fussin' Nag Nag) - (with The Del Royals)
- 16.It's Raining - (with Irma Thomas)
- 17.Certain Girl, A - (with Ernie K-Doe)
- 18.39-21-46 - (with The Showmen)
- 19.Ruler Of My Heart - (with Irma Thomas)
- 20.Ooh Poo Pah Doo (Part 2) - (with Jessie Hill)
Producer: Allen Toussaint.
Compilation producer: Alan Warner.
Recorded in New Orleans, Louisiana between 1960 & 1962. Includes liner notes by John Broven.
All tracks have been digitally remastered.
This is part of Capitol's Crescent City Soul series.
Audio Remasterer: Ron McMaster.
Liner Note Author: Jon Broven.
Recording information: 1960-1962.
Allen Toussaint is a giant of American popular music, but his work was primarily behind the scenes as a songwriter, producer, arranger, and sessionman. Even as a leader, his songs and recordings became better-known through interpretations and assimilations from such artists as Glen Campbell, Lowell George, and Bonnie Raitt, instead of his darkly sensual, funky records of the '70s. That's why a collection like Finger Poppin' and Stompin' Feet: 20 Classic Allen Toussaint Productions is so welcome -- it shines a spotlight on Toussaint's most influential work as a producer and songwriter, all from the vaults of Minit Records. This is hardly the totality of Toussaint's contributions -- not only are his solo recordings nowhere to be seen, such brilliant work as his collaborations with Lee Dorsey are nowhere to be heard on this disc -- but it's an exuberant celebration of a musician at the top of his game. Plus, it's just a hell of a good listen, nearly a greatest-hits collection of New Orleans R&B as a whole, thanks to such classics as the Showmen's "It Will Stand"; Ernie K-Doe's "Mother-in-Law," "A Certain Girl," and "I Cried My Last Tear"; Aaron Neville's "Over You"; Jessie Hill's "Ooh Poo Pah Doo, Pt. 1"; Benny Spellman's "Fortune Teller" and "Lipstick Traces (On a Cigarette)"; and Irma Thomas' "Ruler of My Heart" and "It's Raining." In addition to those, there are lesser-known gems from the same artists, plus cult artists like the Del Royals and Allen Orange, which add seasoning to a collection already bursting with flavor. Even if you already know Allen Toussaint's work and reputation, it's a revelation and a joyous listen. And, needless to say, it's also essential to any pop or R&B collection. ~ Stephen Thomas Erlewine
Clarence "Frogman" HenryAin't Got No Home: The Best of Clarence "Frogman" Henry
$10.85 Super Savings
Make It Funky! A Raucous Night of New Orleans Music (WS) (DVD)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 10 ratings.
Based on 10 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD)
$2.98 on SALE
Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 3 - Disc 2 (CD)
$1.98 on SALE