Allen Toussaint Finger Poppin' and Stompin' Feet: 20 Classic Allen Toussaint Productions for Minit...
|You Save:||$1.20 (10% Off)|
Temporarily Out of Stock: We'll get more as soon as possible
- Released: March 12, 2002
- Label: Capitol
Living Blues - 9-10/02, p.79"...Some of the best New Orleans music of all time..."
- 1.It Will Stand - (with The Showmen)
- 2.Mother In Law - (with Ernie K-Doe)
- 3.Over You - (with Aaron Neville)
- 4.Heavenly Baby - (with Allen & Allen)
- 5.Ooh Poo Pah Doo (Part 1) - (with Jessie Hill)
- 6.'Tain't It The Truth - (with Ernie K-Doe)
- 7.Cry On - (with Irma Thomas)
- 8.True Love Never Dies - (with Allen Orange)
- 9.Let's Live - (with Aaron Neville)
- 10.Te-Ta-Te-Ta-Ta - (with Ernie K-Doe)
- 11.Whip It On Me - (with Jessie Hill)
- 12.Fortune Teller - (with Benny Spellman)
- 13.I Cried My Last Tear - (with Ernie K-Doe)
- 14.Lipstick Traces (On A Cigarette) - (with Benny Spellman)
- 15.Always Naggin' (Grumblin' Fussin' Nag Nag) - (with The Del Royals)
- 16.It's Raining - (with Irma Thomas)
- 17.Certain Girl, A - (with Ernie K-Doe)
- 18.39-21-46 - (with The Showmen)
- 19.Ruler Of My Heart - (with Irma Thomas)
- 20.Ooh Poo Pah Doo (Part 2) - (with Jessie Hill)
Producer: Allen Toussaint.
Compilation producer: Alan Warner.
Recorded in New Orleans, Louisiana between 1960 & 1962. Includes liner notes by John Broven.
All tracks have been digitally remastered.
This is part of Capitol's Crescent City Soul series.
Audio Remasterer: Ron McMaster.
Liner Note Author: Jon Broven.
Recording information: 1960-1962.
Allen Toussaint is a giant of American popular music, but his work was primarily behind the scenes as a songwriter, producer, arranger, and sessionman. Even as a leader, his songs and recordings became better-known through interpretations and assimilations from such artists as Glen Campbell, Lowell George, and Bonnie Raitt, instead of his darkly sensual, funky records of the '70s. That's why a collection like Finger Poppin' and Stompin' Feet: 20 Classic Allen Toussaint Productions is so welcome -- it shines a spotlight on Toussaint's most influential work as a producer and songwriter, all from the vaults of Minit Records. This is hardly the totality of Toussaint's contributions -- not only are his solo recordings nowhere to be seen, such brilliant work as his collaborations with Lee Dorsey are nowhere to be heard on this disc -- but it's an exuberant celebration of a musician at the top of his game. Plus, it's just a hell of a good listen, nearly a greatest-hits collection of New Orleans R&B as a whole, thanks to such classics as the Showmen's "It Will Stand"; Ernie K-Doe's "Mother-in-Law," "A Certain Girl," and "I Cried My Last Tear"; Aaron Neville's "Over You"; Jessie Hill's "Ooh Poo Pah Doo, Pt. 1"; Benny Spellman's "Fortune Teller" and "Lipstick Traces (On a Cigarette)"; and Irma Thomas' "Ruler of My Heart" and "It's Raining." In addition to those, there are lesser-known gems from the same artists, plus cult artists like the Del Royals and Allen Orange, which add seasoning to a collection already bursting with flavor. Even if you already know Allen Toussaint's work and reputation, it's a revelation and a joyous listen. And, needless to say, it's also essential to any pop or R&B collection. ~ Stephen Thomas Erlewine
Clarence "Frogman" HenryAin't Got No Home: The Best of Clarence "Frogman" Henry
$9.72 Super Savings
Make It Funky! A Raucous Night of New Orleans Music (WS) (DVD)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 10 ratings.
Based on 10 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD)
$19.98 on SALE
WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD)
$2.98 on SALE