- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: November 20, 2001
- Originally Released: 2001
- Label: Motown
Q - 1/02, p.1173 out of 5 stars
- "...some of soul's breeziest cuts....blessed with Motown's finest arrangeers and sons..."
Living Blues - 3-4/02, p.82
"...Brings together the duo's 3 Tamia albums and their inspiring hits....Terrel's last 9 sides are previously unreleased..."
Mojo (Publisher) - 2/02, p.105
"...Perfectly matched as singers, lavished with excellent Ashford & Simpson songs...and fine productions, the glamorous and talented duo were set to become as big an item as any in the Motown stable..."
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.Ain't No Mountain High Enough
- 2.You Got What It Takes
- 3.If I Could Build My World Around You
- 4.Somethin' Stupid
- 5.Your Precious Love
- 6.Hold Me Oh My Darling
- 7.Two Can Have a Party
- 8.Little Boy, Little Ole Girl
- 9.If This World Were Mine
- 10.Sad Wedding
- 11.Give a Little Love
- 12.Oh How I'd Miss You
- 13.Ain't Nothing Like the Real Thing
- 14.Keep on Lovin' Me Honey
- 15.You're All I Need to Get By
- 16.Baby Don'tcha Worry
- 17.You Ain't Livin Till You're Lovin'
- 18.Give In, You Just Can't Win
- 19.When Loves Comes Knocking at My Heart
- 20.Come on and See Me
- 21.I Can't Help But Love You
- 22.That's How It Is (Since You've Been Gone)
- 23.I'll Never Stop Loving You Baby
- 24.Memory Chest
- 25.Ain't Nothing Like the Real Thing - (previously unreleased, alternate take)
- 26.Keep on Lovin' Me Honey - (previously unreleased, alternate take)
- 27.We'll Be Satisfied - (previously unreleased, alternate take)
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.Good Lovin' Ain't Easy to Come By
- 2.California Soul
- 3.Love Woke Me Up This Morning
- 4.This Poor Heart of Mine
- 5.I'm Your Puppet
- 6.The Onion Song
- 7.What You Gave Me
- 8.Baby I Need Your Loving
- 9.I Can't Believe You Love Me
- 10.How You Gonna Keep It (After You Get It)
- 11.More, More, More
- 12.Satisfied Feelin'
- 13.I Can't Believe You Love Me
- 14.Hold Me Oh My Darling
- 15.Come on and See Me
- 16.Baby Don'tcha Worry
- 17.Ain't No Mountain High Enough - (previously unreleased)
- 18.Two Can Have a Party - (previously unreleased)
- 19.Oh How I'd Miss You - (previously unreleased, demo version)
- 20.You Ain't Livin' Till You're Lovin' - (previously unreleased)
- 21.Give In, You Just Can't Win - (previously unreleased)
- 22.When Love Comes Knocking at My Heart - (previously unreleased)
- 23.Memory Chest - (previously unreleased)
- 24.That's How It Is (Since You've Been Gone) - (previously unreleased)
- 25.More, More, More - (previously unreleased)
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel includes: Marvin Gaye, Tammi Terrell (vocals); Johnny Bristol, Harvey Fuqua, Valerie Simpson, Nickolas Ashford, The Andantes, The Spinners (background vocals).
Producers include: Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol, Berry Gordy, Nicholas Ashford, Valerie Simpson.
Compilation producer: Harry Weinger.
Includes liner notes by Brian Chin.
Digitally remastered by Jeff Willens (Universal Mastering Studios East).
Personnel: Henry Fambrough, Pervis Jackson, Marlene Barrow, Harvey Fuqua, Jackie Hicks, Chico Edwards, Johnny Bristol, Louvain Demps, Nick Ashford, The Andantes, The Spinners , Valerie Simpson, Billy Henderson (background vocals).
Audio Mixers: Harry Weinger; Kevin Reeves.
Most listeners will be satisfied enough with a best-of compilation to cover the work that Gaye and Terrell did together. Those who want to hear more should make The Complete Duets their next and only subsequent stop. The two-CD collection includes everything from their three Motown duet albums, along with the previously unreleased "We'll Be Satisfied," an alternate take of "Ain't Nothing Like the Real Thing," and an alternate vocal of "Keep on Lovin' Me Honey." For good measure, the second half of disc two is devoted to rare solo Terrell sides. That includes four songs from 1965-1966 singles, including the non-LP B-side "Baby Don'tcha Worry," all of which were also released as duets with added Gaye vocals; it sounds like they're trying to make her a mini-Mary Wells on "Hold Me Oh My Darling." There are also nine previously unreleased Terrell solo tracks (though all of the songs were also featured, with Gaye on duet vocals, on the Gaye-Terrell LPs). It would have been good for the otherwise satisfactory liner notes to include more specific details on those unreleased Terrell items, and in all the non-hits on the package are enjoyably generic late-'60s Motown, rather than being of particularly exceptional merit. At the same time, it's of reasonably strong consistency and a useful compendium of the total known output of one of soul's top duets. ~ Richie Unterberger
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 17 ratings.
Write an online review to share your thoughts with other customers.
LOVE IS IN THE AIR
Music Lover: ROBERT VELEZ
BRONX, NY US
-- August, 5, 2014
MARVIN GAYE AND TAMMI TERRELL ARE THE GREATEST SINGING DUO OF ALL TIME! ALL THEIR SONGS REPRESENT LOVE WHICH IS SORELY MISSING WITH TODAYS INFERIOR MUSIC! THIS CLASSIC COLLECTION CONTAINS ALL THE HITS AND CUTS THAT SHOULD OF BEEN LIKE HITS LIKE SAD WEDDING, KEEP ON LOVIN ME HONEY AND MEMORY CHEST! EVEN THOUGH MARVIN+TAMMI WERENT ROMANTICALLY INVOLVED,THEIR MUSIC WILL LIVE ON FOREVER AS A TESTAMENT OF WHAT ROMANTIC MUSIC IS TRULY ALL ABOUT!
- Sales Rank: 78,875
- UPC: 044001640223
- Shipping Weight: 0.26/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 2 items