Brenda & The Tabulations
Right on the Tip of My Tongue
Rare & Hard-To-Find Audio CDs (series)
13 copies available
|You Save:||$3.03 (18% Off)|
Rare & Hard-to-Find: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: June 13, 2000
- Originally Released: 2000
- Label: Jamie / Guyden
- $0.99 on iTunes1.Right on the Tip of My Tongue
- $0.99 on iTunes2.Don't Make Me Over
- $0.99 on iTunes3.The Touch of You
- $0.99 on iTunes4.Lies Lies Lies
- $0.99 on iTunes5.California Soul
- $0.99 on iTunes6.Oh Lord, What Are You Doing to Me
- $0.99 on iTunes7.A Child No One Wanted
- $0.99 on iTunes8.Scuse Uz Y'All
- $0.99 on iTunes9.You've Changed
- $0.99 on iTunes10.Someday We'll Be Together
- $0.99 on iTunes11.My Heart Sang (Tra la la), And
- $0.99 on iTunes12.Always and Forever
- $0.99 on iTunes13.Sha Na Na - (previously unreleased)
- $0.99 on iTunes14.A Part of You
- $0.99 on iTunes15.Where There's a Will
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Brenda & The Tabulations includes: Brenda Payton (vocals); Dennis Dozier (guitar); Don Ford (piano); Lee Smith (bass); Ken Wright (drums).
Producers: Gilda Woods, Van McCoy.
Recorded between 1969 & 1971. Includes liner notes by Bill Dahl.
Digitally remastered by Tom Moulton & Greg Vaughn (Frankford Wayne Mastering Labs, New York, New York).
Unfortunately original release information is not given with this package. But it can safely be deduced that this includes most or all of the tracks from their eponymous 1970 Top & Bottom LP, as well as some non-LP singles ("Right on the Tip of My Tongue" and "A Part of You") and one previously unreleased track, "Sha Na Na -- He Loves Me." Basically, then, it's a survey of their 1969-1971 Top & Bottom output, entirely produced by Van McCoy. The Brenda & the Tabulations/Van McCoy collaboration marked a real high-water mark in Philly soul that deserves wider historical recognition. Certainly there was little, if any, soul produced in the city outside the Gamble-Huff and Thom Bell empires that was of such a high standard. Philly sweet soul was rarely more melodic than this, probably due in large measure to McCoy's songwriting and arrangements, which went heavy on the graceful strings and flutes. Brenda Payton and her group do a lot on their part, though, putting across the songs without overdoing it. A half-dozen R&B hits are here: the title track (also a pretty big pop hit), "The Touch of You," "And My Heart Sang (Tra La La)," "A Part of You," the one stab at social consciousness ("A Child No One Wanted"), and a remake of "Don't Make Me Over." There's not much filler -- an unusual condition for soul-pop artists of the time -- although the one unissued tune, "Sha Na Na -- He Loves Me," is a giggly throwaway. ~ Richie Unterberger
Con Funk ShunThe Best of 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection
$6.08 Super Savings
Storm Warning: Philly Original Soul Classics, Volume 1 (CD)(2)
$13.95 on SALE
The Sweetest Feeling: Van McCoy Songbook 1962-1973 (CD)(2)
$12.35 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 9 ratings.
Based on 9 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)(17)
R&B: Disco Music Categories:
Silk & Steel (CD)
$14.81 Super Savings
Cream City (CD)
$6.22 Super Savings
- ABBA The Definitive Collection (2-CD) ~ $17.98
Gold: Greatest Hits (CD)
$7.41 Super Savings
- ABBA Live At Wembley (2-CD) ~ $39.59