King Curtis Live at Fillmore West [Deluxe]
|You Save:||$0.73 (5% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Clearance CDs with the ZHUS prefix may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: July 11, 2006
- Originally Released: 2006
- Label: Warner Bros Mod Afw
Rolling Stone - p.1004 stars out of 5 -- "[A] hard-grooving live disc from 1971. It features Texas hornman Curtis stretching out on Led Zeppelin's 'Whole Lotta Love' and Stevie Wonder's 'Signed, Sealed, Delivered (I'm Yours)'..."
- 1.Memphis Soul Stew
- 2.A Whiter Shade of Pale
- 3.Whole Lotta Love
- 4.I Stand Accused
- 5.Them Changes
- 6.Ode to Billie Joe
- 7.Mr. Bojangles
- 8.Signed, Sealed, Delivered I'm Yours
- 9.Soul Serenade
- 10.My Sweet Lord - (alternate take, Bonus Track)
- 11.Them Changes - (alternate take, Bonus Track)
- 12.Ode to Billie Joe - (alternate take, Bonus Track)
- 13.Soul Serenade - (alternate take, Bonus Track)
- 14.Memphis Soul Stew - (alternate take, Bonus Track)
Personnel: King Curtis (soprano, alto & tenor saxophones); Cornell Dupree (guitar); Lou Collins (tenor saxophone); Jimmy Mitchell (baritone saxophone); Roger Hopps (trumpet); Jack Hale (trombone); Truman Thomas (electric piano); Billy Preston (organ); Jerry Jemmott (electric bass); Bernard Purdie (drums); Pancho Morales (congas).
The Memphis Horns: Andrew Love (tenor saxophone); Wayne Jackson (trumpet).
Producer: King Curtis, Arif Mardin.
Reissue producer: Dave Nives.
Recorded live at The Fillmore West, San Francisco, California. Originally released on Atco (359) in 1971. Includes liner notes by David Nathan.
All tracks have been digitally remastered.
Personnel: King Curtis (soprano saxophone, alto saxophone, tenor saxophone); King Curtis (saxophone); Lou Collins, Andrew Love (tenor saxophone); Jimmy Mitchell (baritone saxophone); Roger Hopps, Wayne Jackson (trumpet); Jack Hale (trombone); The Memphis Horns (horns); Truman Thomas (electric piano); Jerry Jemmott (electric bass); Pancho Morales (congas); Cornell Dupree (guitar); Billy Preston (organ); Bernard "Pretty" Purdie (drums).
Audio Mixers: Cheryl Pawelski; Brian Kehew.
Audio Remasterer: Daniel Hersch.
Audio Remixers: Gene Paul; Jimmy Douglass.
Liner Note Author: David Nathan .
Recording information: Fillmore West, San Francisco, CA (03/05/1971-03/07/1971).
Editors: Cheryl Pawelski; Daniel Hersch; Brian Kehew.
Photographer: Jim Marshall .
Arranger: King Curtis.
In March 1971, Aretha Franklin and King Curtis played a three-night stand at San Francisco's legendary venue, the Fillmore West. An LP of selections from tenor sax legend Curtis's opening sets was released in August of that year. Tragically, less than a week later Curtis was murdered in New York City. In 2004, the specialist collectors' label Rhino Handmade released a four-disc box set containing full sets of all three nights; this expanded edition of King Curtis's LIVE AT FILLMORE WEST is taken from those remasters, adding five tracks to the LP's original nine songs including a version of George Harrison's "My Sweet Lord," featuring the organ and vocals of Billy Preston. The set list consists almost entirely of torrid soul-jazz workouts of pop and rock tunes from the era, from Bobbie Gentry's "Ode To Billie Joe" to Led Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love."
King CurtisHave Tenor Sax, Will Blow / Live At Small's Paradise
$10.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 14 ratings.
Based on 14 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
I'm the One Who Loves You: The Complete Volt Recordings (CD)
$22.19 Super Savings
Top ranking CD:
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $9.98 on SALE
- Jimmy McGriff Toast To Golden Classics (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE