Janet Jackson Control
LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$4.48 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.50 (25% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: March 8, 1986
- Originally Released: 1989
- Label: A&M
Rolling StoneRanked #28 in Rolling Stone's "100 Best Albums Of The Eighties" survey. (November 1989)
Vibe - 12/99, p.157Included in Vibe's 100 Essential Albums of the 20th Century - "[Janet] demands respect, draws her boundaries, and kicks some nasty butt....bringing a new wealth of range, power, and grace."
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Janet Jackson (vocals, keyboards, bells, background vocals); Jellybean Johnson (vocals, guitar); Jimmy Jam (vocals, piano, synthesizer, drums, percussion, background vocals); Terry Lewis (vocals, percussion, background vocals); Jerome Benton (vocals); Monte Moir (guitar, synthesizer, drums); Spencer Bernard (guitar, synthesizer); Geoff Bouchieiz (guitar); Nicholas Raths (acoustic guitar, 12-string guitar); Troy Anthony (saxophone); Mark Cardenas (synthesizer); Roger Dumas (drums, programming); Hami Wave, Gwendolyn Traylor, Lisa Keith, Melanie Andrews (background vocals).
Recording information: Flyte Time Productions Studio, Minneapolis, MN.
Unknown Contributor Role: Janet Jackson.
Although Janet Jackson had released two records in the early '80s, they were quickly forgotten, and notably shaped by her father's considerable influence. Janet's landmark third album, 1986's Control, changed all that. On the opening title track, Jackson, with passion and grace, declares her independence, moving out of the gargantuan shadow of her brother Michael and on to the business of making her own classic pop album. The true genius of Control lies in the marriage of her extremely self-assured vocals with the emphatic beats of R&B production wizards Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis. The duo was already well established in the music industry, but the practically flawless Control showcased Jam and Lewis' true studio mastery. For the better part of two years, Janet remained on the pop chart, with two-thirds of the album's tracks released as singles, including the ever-quotable "Nasty," the assertive "What Have You Done for Me Lately," the frenetically danceable "When I Think of You," and the smooth, message-oriented ballad "Let's Wait Awhile." Jackson achieved long-awaited superstar status and never looked back. ~ Jason Thurston
Chante MooreThe Best of 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection (CD)
$5.74 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 120 ratings.
Based on 120 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Nutty Professor II: The Klumps (Uncensored Collector's Ed.) (DVD)(91)
$4.98 on SALE
Top ranking titles in the R&B / Soul genre:
- Various Artists WDAS 105.3FM - Classic Soul Hits, Volume 1 (2-CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WDAS 105.3FM - Classic Soul Hits, Volume 4 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Ike & Tina Turner Golden Classics (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Stacy Lattisaw Sixteen (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Royals / The Midnighters Very Best of The Royals & The Midnighters (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 70s - Absolute Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 80s: Groovin' Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 2 - Disc 1 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 4 - Disc 2 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE