- Rated: PG
- Run Time: 1 hours, 42 minutes
- Video: Black & White / Color
- Released: October 4, 2011
- Originally Released: 1997
- Label: Sony Pictures Home
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen
- Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo - English
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Film Comment - 11/01/1997
"...As shadowy and beautiful as a Lang movie..."
Premiere - 01/01/1998
"...Potter keeps the film light on its feet...and beautifully captures all the sensuality and operatic rage..."
Chicago Sun-Times - 12/19/1997
"...It contains truly virtuoso dance sequences..."
Description by OLDIES.com:
Sally, a filmmaker who becomes dissatisfied with her latest screenplay, stumbles upon Pablo, an Argentinean tango dancer. She places herself under Pablo's tutelage and together they explore their spiritual and artistic connections. It soon becomes clear that they each want very different things from each other. Newly remastered.
In this semi-autobiographical love story, an English director, Sally (Sally Potter), in Paris preparing to make a commercial film that her Hollywood producers have dubbed "Carnage on the Catwalk," wanders into a tango performance. Smitten with the dance, and the dancer, she asks Pablo (Pablo Veron) to give her a lesson. Returning to London to find her contractor (Heathcote Williams) tearing up her floor, she embarks on a pilgrimage to Buenos Ares to seriously learn the tango from two amiable teachers, Gustavo (Gustavo Naveira) and Fabian (Fabian Salas). With her London flat in worse shape than ever, she flees to Paris, reuniting with Pablo. Drawn together by their love of the tango and shared Jewish heritage, their romance blossoms and Sally abandons her film project. When Pablo asks her to be his dance partner in an upcoming concert, and she asks him to be in her next film--inspired by the tango--it puts their relationship to the test. Beautifully filmed in black and white with color sequences, THE TANGO LESSON is filled with inspired choreography and captivating dance sequences, including one in which Sally and Pablo are dancing along the Seine in Paris ala Gene Kelly and Leslie Caron in AN AMERICAN IN PARIS.
Art / Artists |
Character Study |
- THE TANGO LESSON was shot on location in Paris, London, and Buenos Ares.
- THE TANGO LESSON is based on an actual encounter between Pablo Veron and Sally Potter, but how true to life their love story is Potter won't say.
- Sally Potter is an accomplished dancer who began studying dance at the late age of 21, and went on to make several documentaries about dance.
- She once said that, in making the film, "At times I felt like a spy. spying on my own life in order to use the material in order to tell a tale."
- Director Potter provided the vocals on the score, which she co-wrote.
- In the film, when Sally asks Pablo why he chose the tango he replies, "I didn't chose the tango, the tango chose me."
This product is made-on-demand by the manufacturer using DVD-R recordable media.
Almost all DVD players can play DVD-Rs (except for some older models made before 2000) -
please consult your owner's manual for formats compatible with your player.
These DVD-Rs may not play on all computers or DVD player/recorders.
To address this, the manufacturer recommends viewing this product on a DVD player
that does not have recording capability.