- Rated: PG
- Run Time: 1 hours, 42 minutes
- Video: Black & White / Color
- Released: October 4, 2011
- Originally Released: 1997
- Label: Sony Pictures Home
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen
- Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo - English
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Film Comment - 11/01/1997
"...As shadowy and beautiful as a Lang movie..."
Premiere - 01/01/1998
"...Potter keeps the film light on its feet...and beautifully captures all the sensuality and operatic rage..."
Chicago Sun-Times - 12/19/1997
"...It contains truly virtuoso dance sequences..."
Description by OLDIES.com:
Sally, a filmmaker who becomes dissatisfied with her latest screenplay, stumbles upon Pablo, an Argentinean tango dancer. She places herself under Pablo's tutelage and together they explore their spiritual and artistic connections. It soon becomes clear that they each want very different things from each other. Newly remastered.
Art / Artists |
Character Study |
- THE TANGO LESSON was shot on location in Paris, London, and Buenos Ares.
- THE TANGO LESSON is based on an actual encounter between Pablo Veron and Sally Potter, but how true to life their love story is Potter won't say.
- Sally Potter is an accomplished dancer who began studying dance at the late age of 21, and went on to make several documentaries about dance.
- She once said that, in making the film, "At times I felt like a spy. spying on my own life in order to use the material in order to tell a tale."
- Director Potter provided the vocals on the score, which she co-wrote.
- In the film, when Sally asks Pablo why he chose the tango he replies, "I didn't chose the tango, the tango chose me."