- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 30 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: August 14, 2001
- Originally Released: 1979
- Label: Kino Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 1.66
- Mono - English
- Stereo - English
- Additional Release Material:
- Audio Commentary: Bruce Ricker - Director
- Interactive Features:
- Scene Selection
- Interactive Menus
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"You kids be cool. All down here, I know backwards."
- Ernie Williams to neighborhood children
"A big fine chick in Texas -- Claudia used to sleep with a pearl-handled, nickle-plated .45 on the dresser. If she say, 'Sit down,' you sit down. When she say, 'You have breakfast,' you have breakfast."
- Big Joe Turner
Entertainment Weekly - 05/15/1998
"...No jazz video collection should be without THE LAST OF THE BLUE DEVILS....Still packs an enormous wallop..." -- Rating: A
New York Times - 06/18/1980
"...A public service as well as a musical delight..."
USA Today - 08/17/2001
"...You'll learn a lot here about how a filmmaker can make a documentary look as if it's taking lace within a compressed time frame, even though the footage was shot over a long period..."
A magnificent documentary on a fabled time and place in American musical history, an "open city" with a wild and woolly nightlife of booze, gambling and prostitution, supported by the mayor who took his city and said "to hell with prohibition, let's party." This musical documentary chronicles the Kansas City blues and jazz scene, and includes interviews and archival footage of many of the greats, notably, the big-band sound of Count Basie and his Orchestra, Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie and his Quintet, and Ernie Williams -- who called himself "the Last of the Blue Devils."
This musical documentary chronicles the Kansas City blues and jazz scene, and includes interviews and archival footage of many of the greats, notably: the big-band sound of Count Basie and his Orchestra, Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie and his Quintet, and Ernie Williams -- who called himself "the last of the blue devils."
Jazz Musicians |
Music (General) |
- Copyright 1979 the Last of the Blue Devils Film Co., John Kelly, Bruce Ricker and Edward Beyer.
- Additional cast: Buddy Anderson, Speedy Huggins, Budd Johnson, Baby Lovett, Paul Quinichette, Herman Walder, Jimmy Forrest, Crook Goodwin, Curtis Foster, Paul Gunther, Sonny Kenner, Jesse Price, Buster Smith, Richard Smith, Claude Williams, Milton Morris.
- Additional credits: John Arnoldy (script), Mitchell Donian (executive producer), Arnie Johnson (cinematographer), Eric Menn (cinematographer), Bob Gardener (cinematographer), Rocky Rude (sound), Wally Gaspar (sound).
- Shown at the Chicago International Film Festival in November, 1979.
- Sales Rank: 112,370
- UPC: 745475016827
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item