- Rated: PG-13
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 41 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: August 22, 1997
- Originally Released: 1995
- Label: New Line Home Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Dual Side - Single Layer
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 1.85
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- Dolby Digital Stereo - French
- Additional Release Material:
- Background Information on the Kombatants
- Trailers: Original Theatrical Trailer
- Interactive Features:
Performers, Cast and Crew:
USA Today - 08/21/1995
"...Mortal maniacs will get a kick out of watching Kombatants like Sub-Zero..."
Variety - 08/21/1995
"...An arsenal of special-effects teams unleash some dazzling, fun eye-poppers, while the best of the fights have a visceral tension one can almost taste..."
Los Angeles Times - 08/21/1995
"...[MORTAL KOMBAT] arrives on the big screen with terrific, high-energy panache. A martial arts action-adventure with wondrous special effects and witty production design..."
Chicago Sun-Times - 08/21/1995
"...MORTAL KOMBAT is entertaining in a testosterone-pumped way....A champion martial artist, Shou is showcased in the some of the film's most exciting fight sequences..."
Three warriors, Sonya Blade, Johnny Cage and Lui Kang, battle the servants of the evil sorcerer Shang Tsung to determine the fate of the world. Based on the popular video game.
This film adaptation of the wildly popular video game comes complete with dazzling special effects and plenty of martial arts action. The plot revolves around a tournament that pits evil against good. The sinister team, led by the vile sorcerer Shang Tsung, includes the ice-wielding Sub-Zero, the serpent-like Reptile, and the gigantic, four-armed, muscle-bound mutant Goro. The good guys are led by Lord Rayden, who uses electricity as a weapon. His pupils include martial arts expert Liu Kang, vain movie star and karate expert Johnny Cage, and Sonya Blade, a task-force commando who KNOWS how to kick some butt. Adding to the tension is the fact that whichever team wins 10 Kombat tournaments in a row will rule the Earth. And Shang Tsung's demonic team has won the last nine.
- Filmed on location in Thailand.
- Color by Foto-Kem.
- A Threshold Entertainment production.
- The laserdisc version (ID3021LI) includes audio commentary by producer Lawrence Kasanoff and visual effects supervisor Alison Savitch.