Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$15.40 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$4.55 (23% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
Also released as:
Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde (Silent) for $5.95
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 13 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: October 9, 2001
- Originally Released: 1920
- Label: Kino Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Mono - English
- Additional Release Material:
- Isolated Audio Track: Audio of the "Transformation Scene"
- "Dr. Pyckle and Mr. Pride"
- Excerpts from the Rival 1920 Film
- Scene Access
- Interactive Menus
- Production Notes
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Performer:||Martha Mansfield, Louis Wolheim, Charles Lane, Nita Naldi & Brandon Hurst|
|Directed by||John S. Robertson|
|Screenplay by||Clara S. Beranger|
|Original story by||Robert Louis Stevenson|
|Composition by||Gaylord Carter|
|Cinematography by||Roy Overbaugh|
Description by OLDIES.com:
Considered by many to be the first great American horror film, John S. Roberton's Dr. Jekyll And Mr. Hyde allowed stage legend John Barrymore to deliver his first virtuoso performance on film. Blending historic charm with grim naturalism, this version of Dr. Jekyll And Mr. Hyde is one of the more faithful of the many screen adaptations of Stevenson's story, recounting a visionary scientist's ill-fated attempts to unleash the human mysteries that dwell beneath the shell of the civilized self.
Mastered from a 35mm negative and complemented with a wealth of supplemental material, this Kino on Video edition beautifully showcases the dramatic brilliance and gruesome thrills of this influential American classic.
Based on Robert Louis Stevenson's often adapted 1886 socially conscious horror novella, this version stars the incomparable John Barrymore as Dr. Henry Jekyll, a gentle, saintly Victorian physician. However, when the good Dr. Jekyll meets the diabolical Sir George Carew by chance one evening, Jekyll becomes fascinated by the dark side of the human psyche. Further goading his imagination is the sinfully seductive Miss Gina, who arouses more of Jekyll's nascent sexual and sociopathic longings. Determined to explore the dark side of consciousness without endangering himself, Jekyll concocts a potion that transforms him into Edward Hyde, an uninhibited rogue whom Barrymore brilliantly brings to life with the help of only artificial teeth and fingers. Soon, Jekyll finds that it is becoming harder and harder to separate his two personalities, sending him into a downward spiral that seems destined to end with the destruction of his former identity.
In this brilliant silent version of the Robert Louis Stevenson classic, starring John Barrymore, a doctor investigates dividing man's intellectual side from his baser instincts. His experimentation awakens the monster within and the good doctor must fight himself to save the ones he loves.
- All other versions of this classic tale spell the doctor's name as Jekyll, not Jeckyll.
- A silent film.
- The Kino videocassette features an 84-minute version of the 1920 "Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde;" 10 minutes from the 1911 version, starring James Cruze; and 6 minutes from Louis B. Mayer's 1920 version starring Sheldon Lewis. It also features an organ score by Gaylord Carter.
- Additional cast: J. Malcolm Dunn (John Utterson) and Cecil Clovelly (Edward Enfield).
- Additional credits: Robert M. Haas (architecture) and Charles O. Seessel (decorations).
Marvel Cinematic Universe - The Incredible Hulk (WS)
$9.80 Super Savings
Nosferatu (Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens) (Silent)
$15.20 Super Savings
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 28 ratings.
Based on 28 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to write an online review of this product!
Sons of Kong: 10 Full-Length Movies on 3-DVDs (3D Pop-Up...
$1.98 on SALE