- Rated: Not Rated
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 3 hours, 46 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: August 24, 2004
- Originally Released: 1980
- Label: BBC Warner
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
Performers, Cast and Crew:
This is another stellar BBC production based on a classic novel by Jane Austen about the morals and mores of the class system in Georgian England. The intelligent and spirited Elizabeth Bennet is one of 5 daughters -- which, during that era, meant trouble: because women cannot inherit, upon her father's death her family's home will become the property of their nearest male relative. Only marriage, preferably to someone wealthy, can ensure her security. But the proud young lady instantly takes offense when Mr. Darcy, a promising newcomer in town, doesn't seem quite admiring enough, and she spurns his advances. Slowly and painfully, Elizabeth realizes her error, but not before it seems she has lost Mr. Darcy forever...
- Additional cast: Peter Howell (Sir William Lucas); Elizabeth Stewart (Lady Lucas); Edward Arthur (Mr. Hurst); Jennifer Granville (Mrs. Hurst); Doreen Mantle (Mrs. Reynolds); Shirley Cain (Mrs. Philips); Desmond Adams (Col. Fitzwilliam); and Andrew Johns (Captain Denny).
- Additional credits: Vivienne Cozens (adaptation for BBC Video); Marcia Wheeler (UPM); David Mutton (senior cameraman); John Barclay & Shirley Coward (vision mixers); David Freeman, Peter Hodge, & Brian Watkins (dubbing mixers).
- Copyright BBC MCMLXXIX (1979).