- Number of Discs: 2
- Rated: Not Rated
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 3 hours, 15 minutes
- Video: Color
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Released: February 7, 2006
- Originally Released: 1970
- Label: Warner Home Video
- 2-Disc Set
- Special Edition
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 2.39
- Dolby Surround 5.1 English, French
- Additional Release Material:
- Trailers: Theatrical Trailer
- Audio Commentary:
- Lady Sandra Lean
- Sarah Miles
- Trine Mitchum (Robert Mitchum's Daughter), 4. Assistant Director Michael Stevenson
- Second Unit Director Roy Stevens
- Art Director Roy Walker
- Assistant Editor Tony Lawson
- Location Manager Eddie Fowlie
- Stuntman Vic Armstrong
- Ryan's Daughter: A Story of Love
- Film Night: We're the Last of the Traveling Circuses
- The Making of Ryan's Daughter (A 4-Part 35th-Anniversary Documentary)
- Storm Rising
- Storm Chaser
- Storm Catcher
- The Eye of the Storm
- Stephen M. Silverman
- Directors John Boorman
- Hugh Hudson
- Richard Schickel
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Academy Awards 1970 -
Best Cinematography: Freddie Young
Academy Awards 1970 -
Best Supporting Actor: John Mills
Uncut - 03/01/2006
4 stars out of 5 -- "Today it looks like genius; as Lean's visionary leanings run off the hook with symbolic weather and flora..."
New York Times - 02/07/2006
"[A] marvel of pinpoint resolution and stable, saturated color."
Premiere - 04/01/2006
4 stars out of 4 -- "[A] cinematic expression of romance against a harsh backdrop of nature, politics, and human cruelty....RYAN's picture-perfect style of filmmaking is a pleasure to revisit."
David Lean's epic tale of forbidden love, set during the Irish Rebellion of 1916 tells the story of Charles Shaughnessy (Robert Mitchum), a kind and gentle widower, who falls in love with and marries the much younger Rosy (Sarah Miles). On her wedding night, however, Rosy finds that her new husband does not make her romantic dreams come true. When a handsome young Major arrives to take over England's occupying forces, he and Rosy feel an immediate sexual attraction to each other. Unable to resist temptation despite the dangers, the two begin a passionate affair. But when someone betrays the Irish rebels to the British authorities, the whole town suspects Rosy. They're determined to make her pay... and it doesn't matter whether or not she's innocent. Academy Award Nominations: 4, including Best Actress--Sarah Miles. Academy Awards: Best Supporting Actor--John Mills, Best Cinematography.
- Shot in Panavision.
- Color by Metrocolor
- The film cost $14,000,000 to produce and took 3 years to finish. It was director David Lean's 15th feature.
Although he didn't receive screen credit for editing the film, David Lean supervised the cutting. Lean had actually worked as a professional editor.
- The bulk of the filming took place in northern Ireland, but due to poor weather, part of the shooting was done in South Africa.