- Rated: PG-13
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 31 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: May 12, 2009
- Originally Released: 1971
- Label: 20th Century Fox
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 1.66
- Dolby Digital Mono - English, French, Spanish
- Additional Release Material:
- Trailers: Original Theatrical Trailer
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Uncut - 04/01/2005
"[T]his late Burt Lancaster western is most memorable for the crucifixion that sparks his revenge."
Bob Valdez (Burt Lancaster), a Mexican-American deputy sheriff, is forced to kill an accused murderer by ruthless land baron, Frank Tanner. When he discovers that the accused left behind a pregnant girlfriend, he asks around town for money to support her, and is severely beaten and left for dead by Tanner's posse. After his recovery, Valdez prepares for vengeance, sending the simple message to Tanner that "Valdez is coming."
After shooting a wrongfully accused man during a tense stand-off, constable Bob Valdez realizes that the fugitive's pregnant Indian girlfriend has been left without anyone to support her. So he decides to ask everyone involved in the shootout to put together $100 for the squaw. However, this doesn't please Tanner, the posse's ill-tempered leader, who publicly ridicules Valdez, and has him severely beaten by his goons.
The quiet and unassuming Valdez retreats just long enough to recuperate, and when he returns, he goes after Tanner with a bloody vengeance.
Race Relations |
- Color by DeLuxe.
- Directorial debut for Edwin Sherin.
- Shot on location in Spain.