- Rated: PG
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 40 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: May 12, 2009
- Originally Released: 1978
- Label: MGM (Video & DVD)
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 2.35
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 2.35
- Dolby Digital Mono - English, French, Spanish
- Additional Release Material:
- Trailers: Original Theatrical Trailer
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Sight and Sound - 03/01/1979
"...COMES A HORSEMAN has a succinctly contemplative, measured air..."
Variety - 10/11/1978
"...It's a pleasure to look at....[The] tech credits are of very high quality and Pakula continues to be one of the few directors working today who experiments with sound..."
Lavishly photographed, COMES A HORSEMAN is a dramatic Western set in the post-World War II "new West". Jane Fonda stars as Ella, a stubborn rancher who will not surrender her land to the local land baron (Jason Robards). Robards yearns for the good old days when land owners were kings and the past romantic history between him and Ella seems to have given him a proprietary sense in more ways than one. War veteran Frank (James Caan) teams up with Ella to help save her ranch and her heart.
In an American West just coming to terms with the end of World War II, Jane Fonda stars as a Colorado rancher struggling to keep her independence from ruthless local land mogul Ewing (Jason Robards). Fonda teams up with another independent rancher and war veteran, Frank (James Caan) after Frank's partner is killed. Frank and Ella develop a romantic relationship as they battle to save Ella's land, but more than the land is at stake for Ewing. His desire to expand his ranching empire must come to terms with a force even more powerful than his own ambition, oil companies interested in taking over the ranch-land for drilling. Gordon Willis's cinematography of the Wet Mountain Valley in Colorado is breathtaking, becoming the secret star of the picture. The film includes a delightful performance by Richard Farnsworth as Dodger, an older local who is close to both Ella and the land.
- The phenomenal scenery as shot by cinematographer Gordon Willis is considered an "uncredited star" of the film
- Shot in Montana and Coconino National Forest in the Rockies, in Technicolor and Panavision.
- COMES A HORSEMAN was the second time actress Jane Fonda starred in an Alan Pakula film, following her Oscar-winning performance in KLUTE.
- Stuntman Jim Shepard was killed during the shooting of COMES A HORSEMAN.