- Rated: PG-13
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 38 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: January 5, 1998
- Originally Released: 1995
- Label: Universal Studios
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Snap Case
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 1.85
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 1.85
- Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo - French
- Dolby Digital 5.0 Surround - English
- Subtitles - English (SDH), French - Optional
- Additional Release Material:
- Text/Photo Galleries:
- Production Notes
- Cast and Film Bios
- DVD-ROM Features:
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Variety - 03/20/1995
"...It certainly has spit and polish and runs through its drill with admirable precision..."
New York Times - 03/24/1995
"...Mr. Wayans gives the dark cartoonish comedy an irreverent edge..."
Los Angeles Times - 03/24/1995
"...It's an ideal entertainment for youthful audiences that allows Damon Wayans to be at his best in a dream part..."
Chicago Sun-Times - 03/24/1995
"...Wayans is one of the most talented comic actors around....As Major Payne he is plenty outrageous..."
Wayans plays a near-maniacal Army Major assigned to whip a detail of dysfunctional children into shape to win a war games competition, making for some hilarious moments of truly inspired lunacy. Remake of the 1955 movie THE PRIVATE WAR OF MAJOR BENSON starring Charlton Heston.
Major Benson Payne experiences severe culture shock when he leaves the Marines; a couple of decades in uniform have left him unprepared for civilian life. Through the help of a friend, he gets a position leading a ROTC outfit at a prep school, but his young recruits are thoroughly unprepared for his gruff and acerbic rigidity. The major has a change of heart -- and loosens up considerably -- when he meets a winsome and intelligent doctor who provides just the romantic touch he needs.
Campus Life |
Coming Of Age |
Theatrical Release |
- Shot in DeLuxe color.
- Based on the 1955 film "The Private War of Major Benson."