- Rated: R
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 30 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: May 22, 2001
- Originally Released: 1984
- Label: MGM (Video & DVD)
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Snap Case
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 1.85
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 1.85
- Dolby Digital Mono - English
- Dolby Digital Mono - French
- Dolby Digital Mono - Spanish
- Additional Release Material:
- Trailers: Original Theatrical Trailer
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Variety - 01/25/1984
"...Donen gets sharp, comic performances from Caine and Bologna..."
A much-planned two-family vacation to Rio begins with disaster as one husband, Victor (Joseph Bologna), deals with divorce papers while Matthew's (Michael Caine) wife decides to vacation alone somewhere else instead, leaving the two men on vacation with only their charming and adventurous teenage daughters. Confronted by so much bare young skin, confused about the state of his marriage, and swept up in the moment, Matthew lets Victor's daughter, Jennifer (Michelle Johnson), seduce him on the beach. But Jennifer's constant declarations of love and lust make keeping the affair from Victor difficult and twists Matthew into guilty knots. The surprise appearance of Matthew's wife (Valerie Harper, magnificent in a rage) reveals another hidden affair and unravels the romantic web crisscrossing between the families.
An unraveling marriage and the exotic carelessness of Rio encourages bumbling, middle-aged Matthew (touchingly played by Michael Caine) to take another grasp at life and allow his best friend's teenage daughter, Jennifer, to seduce him on the beach. But with his best friend in the next room and his own daughter (young but husky-voiced Demi Moore) bunking with Jennifer, how long can Matthew keep the affair a secret'
- Filmed on location in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- BLAME IT ON RIO is a remake of the 1977 Claude Berri film ONE WILD MOMENT.
- BLAME IT ON RIO marked the film debut of model Michelle Johnson.