- Rated: R
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 59 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: August 22, 1997
- Originally Released: 1996
- Label: 20th Century Fox
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Single Side - Single Layer
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 1.85
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - French
- Dolby Digital Stereo - Spanish
- Additional Release Material:
- Additional Products:
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"Why, it looks like young men playing leapfrog!... Is it Greek'"
- Louise Keeley (DIANNE WIEST), when she sees the pornographic china that's been set out on Armand and Albert's dinner table.
USA Today - 03/08/1995
"...A nicely restrained Williams lets Nathan Lane as his high-strung diva companion rule the roost in this fluttery, funny [film]..." -- 3 out of 4 stars"
Entertainment Weekly - 03/29/1996
"Enchantingly funny....The beauty of THE BIRD CAGE is that its jokes and its message are one and the same..." -- Rating: A-
Variety - 03/04/1996
"...THE BIRDCAGE is a scream....Performed with matchless aplomb and made with plush professionalism....[The film] serves up pure pleasure..."
Chicago Sun-Times - 03/08/1996
"...Robin Williams is the best surprises....He's more restrained than in anything he's done since AWAKENINGS..."
THE BIRDCAGE is director Mike Nichols's remake of LA CAGE AUX FOLLES. The comedy features a flamboyant gay couple who must attempt to "straighten up" for their son's prospective in-laws.
Family Interaction |
Gay / Lesbian |
Switching Roles |
- Theatrical release: March 8, 1996.