- Rated: PG
- Run Time: 1 hours, 50 minutes
- Video: Color
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Released: April 24, 2007
- Originally Released: 1982
- Label: Fox Searchlight
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
- Mono - English, Spanish, French
- Stereo - English
- Subtitles - English, Spanish - Optional
- Additional Release Material:
- TV Spots
- Previews - Fox Flix
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Variety - 06/16/1982
"...Al Pacino's warmest performance to date..."
New York Times - 06/18/1982
"...[Pacino] handles it appealingly and comfortably....Warm, friendly and sometimes cute..."
Ivan Travalian (Al Pacino, SCARFACE) is having a tough time of it. A struggling playwright who is finally getting attention on Broadway, his wife (Dyan Cannon, BOB & CAROL & TED & ALICE) has left him, along with her three kids from another marriage and Travalian's own son. His lead actress (Tuesday Weld, THIEF), moreover, is interested in moving in as well, but she has possibly insurmountable objections when it comes to children. Pacino shines, passionately playing the role of the author whose fierce determination allows the family unit to remain intact.
New York playwright, Ivan Travalian, is deserted suddenly by his wife, leaving him to care for her four kids and his natural son on his own. All this happens just as he's trying to get his new play, two years in the writing, produced. His brooding time is severely limited, however, since big Hollywood film star, Alice Detroit, has agreed to take the starring role in the production, and a romance blooms on the rebound between them. Alice moves in, but Ivan is still in love with ex-wife Gloria, whom he tries to get back. When that fails, and his play is a hit, he begins to realize that he is a wonderful father on his own, and decides to raise all the children by himself.
Character Study |
Family Interaction |
- Color by TVC; shot on location in Gloucester, Massachusetts and Kaufman-Astoria Studios in Queens, New York. DeLuxe prints, Panavision equipment.
- Titles and opticals by Pacific Title; title design by Wayne Fitzgerald and David Oliver; music editor John A. Harris.
- Copyright 1982 20th Century Fox.