- Number of Discs: 2
- Rated: Not Rated
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 41 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: October 10, 2000
- Originally Released: 1962
- Label: Sony Pictures
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 2.35
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 2.35
- Dolby Digital Mono - English
- Additional Release Material:
- Original Theatrical Trailer
- Bonus Trailers - THE GUNS OF NAVARONE, DAS BOOT, THE CAINE MUTINY
- Scene Access
- Interactive Menus
- Vintage Advertising
- Lewis Gilbert - Director
- Alec Guinness - Star
- Dirk Bogarde - Star
Performers, Cast and Crew:
In the historical suspense thriller, DAMN THE DEFIANT!, Alec Guiness stars as Crawford, the captain of the H.M.S. Defiant. The ship embarks on a voyage to battle invading French pirates, but megalomaniac Lt. Scott-Padget (Dirk Bogarde) has other plans. The violent Scott-Padget goes head to head with Crawford on disciplinary issues, and when Crawford is injured during a battle with the French, Scott-Padget ruthlessly takes command. It's up to seaman Vizard (Anthony Quayle) to steer up a mutiny and liberate the Defiant from the egotistical Scott-Padget.
Based on the novel, MUTINY, by Frank Tilsley, DAMN THE DEFIANT! is an accurate recreation of 18th-century nautical warfare. Director Lewis Gilbert spares no expense on details--the elaborate sets and lavish costumes are of the utmost believability, making the film essential viewing for any history lover.
Set during the Napoleonic Wars, a battle of wills develops between the captain of a British warship (Guinness) and his sadistic first officer (Bogarde). Can the men keep the French from invading England, while avoiding mutiny' The film is an exciting naval adventure with great detail and historical accuracy.
- Nigel Kneale and Edmund H. North's script is based on Frank Tilsley's book, MUTINY.