- Rated: PG
- Run Time: 1 hours, 24 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: August 3, 2004
- Originally Released: 1980
- Label: Walt Disney Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Variety - 04/23/1980
In this spooky suspense film, an American family moves into a creepy manor house located within a wooded area in the English countryside. Before long they start to see some odd things, like mirrors that don't reflect, and the ghost of blindfolded girl. The new tenants learn that 30 years ago, a teenage girl, who bears an uncanny resemblance to their daughter Jan (Lynn-Holly Johnson), disappeared nearby. Soon, the supernatural presence starts contacting both sisters.
Description by Buena Vista Home Entertainment.:
The Watcher In The Woods
Legendary actress and two-time Oscar(R)-winner Bette Davis (DANGEROUS, 1935; JEZEBEL, 1938) stars in this frightening and atmospheric thriller. When an American teenager joins her family in an English country house, she experiences strange and supernatural occurrences. Mrs. Alywood (Davis), the kindly caretaker, knows the dark secret behind the happenings ... and prepares for the return of a young girl who died mysteriously some 30 years earlier! THE WATCHER IN THE WOODS weaves a haunting, riveting tale that stays with you long after the explosive ending!
- After its theatrical release, this film was reworked by director Vincent McEveety and re-released in 1981.
- Shot in Technicolor.
- Additional cast: Kyle Richards (Ellie Curtis), Frances Cuka (Mary Fleming).
- Additional credits: Richard Hoult (assistant director).