- Rated: R
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 32 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: August 26, 2003
- Originally Released: 1979
- Label: MGM (Video & DVD)
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 1.85
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Dolby Digital Mono - English
- Additional Release Material:
- Trailers: Original Theatrical Trailer
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"You have to go through it, Nola. All the way through it to the end."
- Dr. Hal Raglan (Oliver Reed)
Sight and Sound - 09/01/2005
"Alongside the bloodletting, there is an emotional charge not always found in the director's other work."
Total Film - 08/01/2013
4 stars out of 5 -- "[T]he emphasis on slow-burning character drama is an early hint of Cronenberg's auteurist ambitions..."
After the painful breakup of her marriage, Nola Carveth seeks treatment at an experimental psychiatric clinic known as the Somafree Institute of Psychoplasmatics. While there, under the care of Dr. Raglan, the institute's founder, she is encouraged to work through her subconscious feelings of hurt and rage in a rather novel way: through bodily manifestation. Some of the clinic's patients develop grotesque sores, others cancerous growths or tumors. But Nola goes a step further. She gives "birth" to living incarnations of her darkest inner impulses. Once released, these walking ids exact gruesome revenge against Nola's family, especially her ex-husband, for every real and imagined slight that she has suffered at their hands over the course of her troubled life. THE BROOD is one of director David Cronenberg's darkest and most twisted films.
- Theatrical Release: May 25, 1979.
- "The Brood" is copyrighted by the Montreal Trust Company; it received financial backing from the Canadian Film Development Corporation.
- There is a French language version of this film which was released theatrically.
- Director David Cronenberg has been quoted as saying that this film is based on the bitter breakup of his first marriage.