- Released: September 30, 2002
- Originally Released: 2004
- Label: Collector's Choice
- 2.I Only Have Eyes For You
- 3.It Never Entered My Mind
- 4.Two Ladies In De Shade Of De Banana Tree
- 5.Spring Can Really Hang You Up The Most
- 6.The Lonesome Road
- 7.All The Things You Are
- 8.Black Coffee
- 9.Happy New Year
- 10.That's How It Went, All Right
Personnel includes: Chris Connor (vocals); Maynard Ferguson (trumpet).
Liner Note Authors: Gary Kramer; James Ritz.
Recording information: 12/1960-01/1961.
Singer Chris Connor was nearing the end of her Atlantic years (which were really her prime) when she recorded this interesting, if not quite classic set with the Maynard Ferguson Orchestra, last reissued on a 1984 LP. With the exception of trumpeter Ferguson, there are few significant solos, and the big band mostly acts as an ensemble. Both Connor and MF were Kenton alumni, and there are moments where the orchestra reminds one of that band, but the focus is mostly on the singer. She is in particularly fine form on "I Only Have Eyes for You," "It Never Entered My Mind," "Spring Can Really Hang You Up the Most" and "The Lonesome Road," although one wishes there was more interplay with the orchestra. ~ Scott Yanow