Warner Archive Collection (series)
Gable is a rough-hewn merchant marine, a wisecracking man's man who loves 'em and leaves 'em -- until the right dame comes along. Garson is the dame -- a librarian who finds nothing about how to domesticate 6'1" of brawn and bravado.
|You Save:||$4.01 (20% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 2-3 business days
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 2 hours, 5 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: September 9, 2011
- Originally Released: 1945
- Label: Warner Archive Collection (MOD)
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Special Edition
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo - English
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Clark Gable & Greer Garson|
|Performer:||Joan Blondell, Thomas Mitchell, Tom Tully, John Qualen, Richard Haydn, Lina Romay, Harry Davenport & Greer Garson|
|Directed by||Victor Fleming|
|Edited by||Frank Sullivan|
|Screenwriting by||Vincent Lawrence & Frederick Hazlitt Brennan|
|Composition by||Herbert Stothart|
|Story by||Clyde Brion Davis|
|Produced by||Sam Zimbalist|
|Director of Photography:||Joseph Ruttenberg|
Description by OLDIES.com:
"Gable's back and Garson's got him!" So went one of film's most famous ad lines, welcoming home the movie icon and World War II veteran to share an Adventure with glorious Greer Garson. As a rough-hewn merchant marine, Gable reprises his most popular film persona, the wisecracking man's man who loves 'em and leaves 'em -- until the right dame comes along. Garson is the dame, or, in this case, lady -- a librarian who finds nothing in the Dewey Decimal System about how to domesticate 6'1" of brawn and bravado.
Victor Fleming (who guided Gable in Gone with the Wind) directs, Joan Blondell plays a been-there blonde who catches Gable's eye and Thomas Mitchell adds pathos as a sailor who makes and breaks a deal with God.
When carousing sailor Harry Patterson (Clark Gable), fresh off a Merchant Marine ship, strides into a library and meets straitlaced librarian Emily Sears (Greer Garson) at the front desk, he has no idea that he is looking at his future wife. But these opposites quickly overcome their differences to attract and wed. But once they do, the oddly matched pair faces several romantic mishaps before the roving seaman can settle down enough to sail into the sunset with his new bride.
Clark Gable returned from World War II to play Harry Patterson, a seasoned sailor who has a girl in every port. Patterson is smitten by the shy, attractive librarian Emily Sears (Greer Garson). Dashing Patterson woos Sears, but after she succumbs to his charms he promptly departs to wander the seas. When he returns to San Francisco to find his love, he discovers that she has removed herself to the countryside to give birth to their child. Chastened by Sears's best friend, Patterson struggles to master his footloose ways and lead a proper life with his newly found family. His efforts are rewarded when the child is born--Patterson's heart is touched, and he ceases to mourn for his seafaring ways. Based on the novel by Clyde Brion Davies, the film was critically assailed at the time of its release but has been given the favorable assessment it deserves by subsequent audiences. The touching portrayal from a matured Gable combines with sterling perfomances from Garson and the supporting cast to produce a successful romantic dramedy.
- Previous to filming, Clark Gable was decorated as a war hero for the dangerous air force missions he flew over Germany.
- Director Victor Fleming had walked out of his contract with MGM over a dispute regading the ending of A GUY NAMED JOE. He only returned to direct ADVENTURE as a special favor to Gable. The duo had previously worked together on GONE WITH THE WIND, TEST PILOT, and BOMBSHELL.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 12 ratings.
Based on 12 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking titles in the Drama genre:
- Too Hot To Handle (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- In the Heat of the Night (DVD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
- Our Lady of Fatima (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Dante's View (DVD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Graduate (Decades Collection) (Includes CD) (DVD) ~ $3.98 on SALE