- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 36 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: December 5, 2006
- Originally Released: 1938
- Label: Sony Pictures
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Mono - English
- Subtitles - English, French, Korean, Portuguese, Spanish - Optional
- Additional Release Material:
- Featurette: "Cary at Columbia"
- Text/Photo Galleries:
- Deleted Scene Photographs
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"What's the use of having all this jack around if it can't get us a superior kind of man'"
- Linda Seton (Katharine Hepburn)
"When I find myself in a position like this, I ask myself what would General Motors do' And then I do the opposite!"
- Johnny Case (Cary Grant)
Entertainment Weekly - 02/10/2006
"[A] masterpiece of comic poignance, pairing Grant with Katharine Hepburn..."
Katharine Hepburn and Cary Grant join forces in this well-loved Cukor comedy about the wrong marriage halted and the right one joyously celebrated--after many misunderstandings--par for the course in a romantic comedy. The 1930s-era HOLIDAY, however, is one of the original films of this genre.
Essential Cinema |
Theatrical Release |
- This was not the first time Philip Barry's 1928 play was adapted for screen; only 8 years earlier, Edward H. Griffith directed a version, starring Ann Harding, Robert Ames, Edward Everett Horton, and Mary Astor.
- According to the American Film Institute catalogue, Katharine Hepburn was instrumental in getting Cukor to direct this remake. She had understudied the role of Linda on Broadway and apparently had hoped to star in the original film, but was passed over.
- HOLIDAY was an important film for Hepburn, coming after the financial disappointment of SYLVIA SCARLETT and the accusation from the Theatre Owners of America that she was "box office poison."
- The film garnered an Academy Award nomination for Best Interior Decoration.