- Released: October 23, 2001
- Originally Released: 2001
- Label: Brunswick Records
Living Blues - 3-4/02, p.82
"...Davis' pleading delivery was put to superior use on his early hits...Producer Willie Henderson and the Dakar house band always provided precisely the right backdrop for Davis..."
- 1.Can I Change My Mind
- 2.A Woman Needs To Be Loved
- 3.Is It Something You've Got
- 4.Turn Back The Hands Of Time
- 5.I'll Be Right Here
- 6.Let Me Back In
- 7.Could I Forget You
- 8.One-Way Ticket (To Nowhere)
- 9.You Keep Me Holding On
- 10.I Had It All The Time
- 11.Was I Just A Fool
- 12.If You Had A Change In Mind
- 13.Without You In My Life
- 14.There It Is
- 15.Wrapped Up In Your Warm And Tender Love
- 16.I Wish It Was Me
- 17.What Goes Up (Must Come Down)
- 18.Happiness Is Being With You
- 19.Turning Point
- 20.It's So Good (To Be Home With You)
Includes liner notes by Robert Pruter.
Digitally remastered by Ivan Joseph Goldberg (Miracle Mastering Studios, New York, New York).
Liner Note Author: Robert Pruter.
Tyrone Davis seems to have more than his share of hits compilations, both domestic through Brunswick and imported courtesy of Diablo, but the rejuvenated 20 Greatest Hits earns the recommendation because of its digital remastering job. Davis' gritty yearning and the stylish, brassy productions of Brunswick's Willie Henderson and Carl Davis sound better than ever on his biggest and best hits, "Can I Change My Mind" (quickly followed by the nearly identical "Is It Something You've Got") and "Turn the Back Hands of Time." Though 20 Greatest Hits doesn't feature as expansive a track listing as Diablo's Turning Back the Hands of Time, the crisp sound and detailed liner notes make it an easy first pick for fans of Davis' expressive uptown sound. ~ John Bush