- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: November 21, 2006
- Label: Tooth & Nail Records
- 1.So Cold I Can See My Breath
- 2.Playing With Fire
- 3.Returning the Smile You Have Had From the Start
- 4.Studying Politics
- 5.Left With Alabis and Lying Eyes
- 6.Listening to Freedie Mercury
- 7.The Weakest
- 8.Miss Behavin'
- 9.In Between 4th and 2nd Street
- 10.The Terrible Secret
- 11.In a Lose, Lose Situation
- 12.In a Win, Win Situation
- 13.Playing With Fire - (Bonus Track, Acoustic)
- 14.Ponytail Parades, The - (Bonus Track, Acoustic)
- 15.Walls - (Bonus Track, Acoustic)
- 16.Fractions - (Bonus Track, Acoustic)
- 17.Studying Politics - (Bonus Track, Acoustic)
- 18.Death to Inconvenience - (Bonus Track, Demo Version)
- 19.Thoughtlife - (Bonus Track, Demo Version)
Following up its lauded 2004 debut, the South Carolina emo-core band Emery went for a tighter, edgier approach on THE QUESTION. During its finest moments, the group recalls early Tool in both its overall sound and the often-soaring lead vocals of Toby Morelle. Of course, like many of its peers, Emery insists on scattering abrupt, throat-shredding screams into the mix (thereby garnering the "screamo" tag). Bone-jarring wails aside, the sextet knows how to weave both powerful guitar riffs and delicate melodies into their songs, resulting in a dynamic album full of angst and other dark emotions. Those expecting a Queen tribute on "Listening to Freddie Mercury" may be shocked to discover a fierce barrage of hardcore instead, and that's Emery's secret weapon--the element of surprise. Although there are quiet passages, THE QUESTION falls into the heavier side of emo territory, and it's clear that Emery wouldn't want it any other way.
This 2006 re-release contains five bonus tracks: acoustic versions of previously released songs.