- Number of Discs: 2
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 6 hours, 4 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: April 24, 2001
- Originally Released: 1963
- Label: A&E Home Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Additional Release Material:
- Photo Gallery of Production Stills
- Interactive Features:
- Interactive Menus
- Scene Selection
Performers, Cast and Crew:
The British television series THE AVENGERS ran from 1961 to 1969. It featured a stylish detective duo investigating bizarre crimes in hour-long mystery/adventure dramas. It also inspired the 1998 Hollywood film THE AVENGERS starring Ralph Fiennes and Uma Thurman. The original duo of anthropologist, marksman, and judo expert Cathy Gale (Honor Blackman) and undercover operative/man-about-town John Steed (Patrick Macnee) is on the case in seven complete episodes from the '63 season.
"The White Dwarf" - An astronomer predicts the end of the world when he discovers that a white dwarf is about to collide with earth's solar system. Can Steed and Cathy save the day'
"Man in the Mirror" - A man thought to be dead is photographed still very much alive, leading Steed to conclude that he may be a traitor about to spill his secrets to foreign sources.
"Conspiracy of Silence" - A circus clown tries to kill Steed, leading Cathy to go undercover in an attempt to infiltrate the clown's family.
"A Chorus of Frogs" - Set in Greece, Steed uncovers a perplexing mystery when a diver is found dead. On a ship where the deceased frogman's team resides, the mystery thickens as Steed encounters the oddball inhabitants on board.
"Six Hands Across A Table" - Cathy falls for a shipbuilder with evil intentions toward the British shipbuilding industry. With Cathy smitten, it's up to Steed to talk some sense into her and save the day.
"Killer Whale" - A boxing ring is used as cover for a smuggling operation, leading the Avengers team to go undercover as boxing managers in an attempt to bring the miscreants to justice.
"Brief For Murder" - Steed celebrates the acquittal of a colleague, leading Cathy to confront him on the matter. In turn, Steed starts to plot the downfall of his shapely sidekick.
British Television |
Television / TV Series |
Television Shows |
- Originally broadcast February 17 - September 28, 1963.
- Actors Patrick McNee (John Steed) and Honor Blackman (Cathy Gale) had a huge pop hit on their hands after appearing together in the 1963 season of THE AVENGERS. Their single together was called "Kinky Boots."
- In the scene where Cathy Gale is interrogating the circus performer in "Conspiracy of Silence" a poster can be seen advertising an act called "The Diminutive Steed."
- THE AVENGERS was based on a show that preceded it called POLICE SURGEON. Several actors appeared in both shows, including Helen Lindsay (from the "Brief For Murder" episode) and Frank Gatliff (from the "A Chorus of Frogs" episode).
- Cathy Gale (Honor Blackman) was only featured in the 63-64 seasons and was replaced by Emma Peel (Diana Rigg) 1965-1967.