- Released: June 20, 2006
- Originally Released: 2006
- Label: Hip-O Records
- 2.Moon River (for the film Breakfast at Tiffany's)
- 3.Cara mia
- 4.Almost There
- 5.Way You Look Tonight, song, The (from the film "Swing Time")
- 6.September Song, song for voice & piano (from "Knickerbocker Holiday")
- 7.Our Last Affair
- 8.Swedish Rhapsody No. 1, for orchestra ("Midsommarvaka"), Op. 19: [Excerpt]
- 9.Some Enchanted Evening, song (from "South Pacific")
- 10.Eine Schwarzwaldfahrt (A Walk in the Black Forrest)
- 11.Moulin Rouge, film score: Theme
- 12.Exodus, film score: Main Theme
- 13.The Big Country, film score: Theme
- 14.Around the world in 80 days, film score: Around The World
- 15.Londonderry Air (Danny Boy), folk song
- 16.Warsaw Concerto for piano & orchestra (for the film "Dangerous Moonlight"/"Suicide Squadron")
Lyricists: Dorothy Fields; Lee Lange; Harold Adamson; Johnny Mercer; Lew Pollack .
Adapter: Percy Faith.
Liner Note Author: Joseph S. Szurly.
Photographer: David Redfern.
The 2006 U.S. Mantovani entry in Universal Music's discount-priced best-of series 20th Century Masters -- The Millennium Collection (released through the Hip-O/Decca subsidiary) contains 16 tracks and is not to be confused with a similarly titled but entirely different 12-track disc compiled for international release in 2005. Compilation producer Joseph S. Szurly (also author of the grammatically challenged boilerplate liner notes) has selected performances from 13 Mantovani LPs released between 1958 and 1977, including versions of the hits "Charmaine," "The Moulin Rouge Theme (Where Is Your Heart)," "Cara Mia," "Around the World," and "Theme from Exodus (Ari's Theme)," albeit not necessarily the hit recordings, as well as Mantovani's takes on such standards as "The Way You Look Tonight," "September Song," and "Some Enchanted Evening." At the end, Szurly tries to make a case for Mantovani's classical bona fides by including the eight-minute "Warsaw Concerto," although it is actually, as he acknowledges, a piece of film music, not a classical composition. At the modest price, the disc will give a listener a good sense of the conductor's soft, string-filled style. ~ William Ruhlmann
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 6 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to
write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 61,789
- UPC: 028947698890
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item